Colorful Impatiens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was pondering my mail box display for this year. I want it to be red, white and blue. its the blue that's got me a little bewildered. what blue flowering plant can do well in the shade? and don't say that cute little one, that grows in clusters, forgot the name, it does not work, tried that one.
Is it part or full shade? I've had blue lobelia in the past that the stick in the container said full sun, but they did horrible and eventually died out completely by the end of July. I've read at other sites that partial shade is best for them, and they are very nice looking. Also check out Browallia (amethyst flower, bush violet), those should do well in shade.

Oh, and my preferred impatiens color is pink, or the cherry splash variety, but I usually end up with red to try and entice hummingbirds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thanks @Henderson have tried Lobella before there, too shady. anyway, I got it done today, its a hot red color with a little blue eye and some white ones also. so its hung and done. on to other pots. other colors of impatients I picked up are purple and pink.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
when I pull up to the end of our driveway, and get my mail, this is what I see. in a few weeks it will be fuller. taken with my cell. seems blurry.
new mailbox.jpg

Ask a Question