Ornamental plants with striking or colorful foliage

Reaction score
Foliage plants apart from giving year round interest to any garden can also totally transform it - as they are what can bring a garden to life - by adding color, texture, shape and form and can be used as a focal point or as a contrast to other flowering plants.

There are hundreds and hundreds of different varieties of foliage plants to choose from - to suit every climate as well as every situation - some with stunning leaf colors and patterns, as well as those with bold or striking shapes and even some that offer the best of both worlds and not only have striking foliage but eye catching flowers too.

As there are just so many colorful and stunning foliage plants to chose from - here are a few eye-catching examples that are suitable for growing directly in the ground, in containers or even as indoor plants

Oxalis Triangularis commonly known as The Love Plant or Pruple Shamrock

Foliage plants - Oxalis Regnellii .JPG

Foliage Plants - Oxalis.jpg

Zamia Furfuracea / Maritima commonly known as The Cardboard Plant or Jamican Sago

Foliage plants - Zamia Furfuracea - cardboard plant - pot.jpg

Foliage Plants - Zamia Furfuracea - cardboard plant .jpg

Strobilanthes Dyerianus commonly know as Persian Shield

Foliage Plants - Strobilanthes - Persian Shield.jpg

Foliage Plants - Strobilanthes Dyerianus .jpg

Foliage Plants - Stroblianthes - Persian Shield.jpg

Strobilanthes or Persian Shield is one of my all time favorites - as the color of the foliage changes depending on the amount of sun or shade that this plant gets :)

How about you - do you have any favorite foliage plants that you are currently growing or would like to grow ?

Reaction score
I have a purple shamrock growing in my house. In all honesty, I never really thought about putting it outside. It would probably really love to be outside. Thanks for the great idea! Personally, my 'go-to' foliage plants are hostas, mostly because I'm looking for something to fill in the shady spots ;)

Reaction score
MStory - You are welcome and yes your Oxalis Triangularis would love being outside and looks really stunning when grown in hanging baskets either singularly or to compliment other plants.
If you are looking for foliage plants that enjoy shade then Strobilanthes or Persian Shield is definitely one worth considering - as not only does it look great when planted with Hostas - but looks magnificent when planted in shade - because that is when its foliage color is at its absolute best. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother grows Purple Shamrock indoors, it's a really lovely plant. In my opinion it looks very unique. If I had more space on my windowsill, I'd steal a few cuttings from her:)
Persian Shield looks really magical! I've never seen it in person.

In my garden, I have only very typical plants, I'm a traditionalist;)

Reaction score
Persian shield is a seriously gorgeous and one of my favorite foliage plants Claudine - so think its a real shame that you've not managed to see it in real life - as it looks absolutely stunning whether its grown as an accent plant or in mixed containers :)

Another plant with eye catching foliage is Codiaeum Varigatum commonly known as " Croton " but the garden variety rather than the indoor variety - which is an evergreen garden shrub that grows to around 5 - 6 ft and looks stunning whether planted in containers or in the ground. There are many, many different varieties and colors but here are just a few of the most popular ones for you to enjoy

Codiaeum - Petra

Foliage Plants - Codiaeum varigatium - Petra.jpg

Codiaeum - Petra Shrub

Foliage Plants - Codiaeum Variegatum  - Petra Shrub.jpg

Codiaeum - Mammy

Foliage Plants - Codiaeum Variegatum-Mammy.jpg

Codiaeum - Eleanor Roosevelt

Foliage Plants - Codiaeum - Eleanor Roosevelt.jpg

Codiaeum - Magnificent - with beautiful speckled foliage

Foliage Plants - Codiaeum .V. Magnificent.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes, some of these pants look really interesting! I've never seen anything like it in person. I must say that I prefer regular, green leaves though. I don't know why I feel this way.

This is Flame Nettle:

af2b77.jpg

Reaction score
Shame you don't like foliage plants Claudine - especially as they are excellent for brightening up shady areas where flowering plants won't grow or for adding a bit of contrast and texture - I love both flowering and foliage plants but think maybe the reason why you are not so keen on them - is because your preference is for flowers rather than foliage :D

Coleus or Flame Nettle is a lovely plant and an extremely popular one too and although mostly grown as an annual - it can in some countries be grown as a perennial or as an indoor plant.
Coleus are extremely versatile plants as there are now so many different varieties and color combinations with more being added each year - that there seems to be a Coleus color or leaf pattern to compliment just about any plant or situation and as there are far too many varieties to list - here are just a few more examples of just how attractive Coleus can be :)

COLEUS.jpg

This is " Redhead "

Coleus - Redhead.jpg

Lime green Coleus complimenting Persian Shield

Coleus - Lime green Coleus with Persian Shield.jpg

"Wild Lime " and " Indian Summer "

Coleus - Wild lime and Indian Summer.jpg

Coleus as a focal point in a shady garden

Coleus - in shady garden.jpg

A close up of the colorful in the shady bed above

Coleus - Colorful coleus.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Shame you don't like foliage plants Claudine - especially as they are excellent for brightening up shady areas where flowering plants won't grow or for adding a bit of contrast and texture - I love both flowering and foliage plants but think maybe the reason why you are not so keen on them - is because your preference is for flowers rather than foliage :D
True, I prefer flowers:D:love:
I think that the main reason why I don't like foliage plants is that I don't like very colorful gadens. What I love are dark green leaves and pastel flowers. Sometimes, when I'm imagining my dream garden, I see only white roses and poplars, lol:p

Reaction score
Thought you did claudine :D but you know foliage plants don't have to be colorful in order to be striking - there are many green and white ones too - that look extremely attractive in green and white gardens - like

Polygonatum Odoratum Variegatum

Foliage Plants - Polygonatum Odoratum Variegatum .jpg

or Euphorbia Marginata - which is a popular choice with rose growers who are looking for a plant that will not only compliment their roses but look very pretty too :)

Foliage Plants - Euphorbia Marginata 3.jpg

Foliage Plants - Euphorbia Marginata 1.jpg

Foliage Plants - Euphorbia Marginata.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, Euphorbia Marginata is truly gorgeous! I love it! These white leaves look like petals, it's so pretty. It's the first time when I see this plant. I'm familiar with Polygonatum Odoratum Variegatum though. Its flowers look like tiny bells, don't they? I'd plant it next to my Lilies of the Valley:)

Reaction score
Wow, Euphorbia Marginata is truly gorgeous! I love it! These white leaves look like petals, it's so pretty. It's the first time when I see this plant. I'm familiar with Polygonatum Odoratum Variegatum though. Its flowers look like tiny bells, don't they? I'd plant it next to my Lilies of the Valley:)

So glad you like Euphorbia Marginata and have to say that I too love this amazing plant - which when seen growing in the garden its a truly eye-catching sight and you'll be pleased to know that its suitable for growing in your climate too.
Yes you're right Polygonatum Odoratum Varigatum does have flowers that are almost identical to those of Lily of the Valley and think your idea of planting it next to your Lily of the Valley is a wonderful idea - especially as I think that they would compliment each other perfectly :)

Reaction score
The purple shamrock was my favorite :) I really like purple colored plants, no matter if they are perennials or annuals. I actually had purple hearts plants when I was younger. It's such a beautiful color!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's an absolutely beautiful plant, Sheal! It looks so unique, I love it. The combintion of dark leaves and the color of those flowers is amazing.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The coleus is my go to plant for color in the yard and in the home. I also have a purple wondering jew that loves being outside, it gets a nice deep purple outside and turns green during the winter months when it has to come back into the house.

Ask a Question