Chicken manure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just got chickens a weeks ago. I know you can use chicken manure in your garden but assume it's not fresh manure? Explain to me what to do or not to do with chicken manure in my garden. I don't have a compost pile, I probably will at some point but after the cost and time of building a coop I won't be able to ask my hubby for a compost bin for a few months, lol. I can pile the manure in the corner of the pen if it just needs to dry out. My mom just sprinkles it in her flower beds but, while I do have some flowers, more of my garden is fruit and veggies. Thank you ahead of time to any who answer.

Reaction score
Piling it in a corner is not a good idea,unless you want to start a fly conoly.

Cheap alternative is to put into black bags and stick somewhere for 6 months,then it will be fine to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
the memories this brings back . Grew up in OHIO, my dad had chickens, and the manure pile was over on the side of the farm. He also grew lots of veggies, (we had a mini farm) . Anyway, sometime he would throw, tomatoes onto the manure pile (not the plant, but the actual tomato). So, now comes winter, below zero temps etc, tons of snow. Anyone knows Ohio, knows you get snow for Thanksgiving. Spring comes, and in a few weeks we see tomato plants poking out from the manure pile in a haphazard fashion. He would take those plants and plant them in the garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we first got chickens, I put their manure on the compost pile and turned it in and used it after six months. We didn't have an official compost pile, just an area near the barn where I dumped kitchen scraps, grass clippings, and the chicken "stuff". The manure did wonders for the compost!
Now we are working with two piles--one working and the other maturing.
Esther, we have two squash (?) plants in our mature compost pile and they are huge and blooming. I must have dumped an overgrown squash last year into the pile. I'm hoping it's a squash plant, because if it isn't, an alien being has moved into my compost pile!:eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When we first got chickens, I put their manure on the compost pile and turned it in and used it after six months. We didn't have an official compost pile, just an area near the barn where I dumped kitchen scraps, grass clippings, and the chicken "stuff". The manure did wonders for the compost!
Now we are working with two piles--one working and the other maturing.
Esther, we have two squash (?) plants in our mature compost pile and they are huge and blooming. I must have dumped an overgrown squash last year into the pile. I'm hoping it's a squash plant, because if it isn't, an alien being has moved into my compost pile!:eek:
I grew a 40 pound Hubbard Squash from ours last year ! Must have missed some seeds....

Ask a Question