What to plant around my chicken run?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! I have a chicken run, and I frequently garden around the area of my chicken run. I was wondering if there was anything that you could recommend to plant around my chicken run? I'm looking for something that isn't poisonous to the chickens, but maybe will fend off predators? Also maybe something that the chickens will enjoy if I let them out of their run? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have chickens, too. I plant marigolds for them to enjoy, and the flowers also make the yolks deeper orange. They like almost any grass, and really like pea plants (which is why I'm buying frozen peas at the grocery instead of eating our own).
I can't think of any plant that would deter predators--the best idea is to let them out of their run when you are out and it is broad daylight. Never clip their wings--if they can get up into a tree or on top of a shed they can avoid most predators, except hawks. Our girls are trained to come running when they hear me tap my fingers on a metal dish that holds treats. They love oyster crackers, and that will get them back inside and safe quicker than anything!

Ask a Question