Cherries from seed?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey had got a large punnet of cherries the other day, cleaned off the seeds and let dry been about 2 weeks now, what can i do to help these start out just to usual germinating in some cotton bud to start out?
also i would be mostly trying this to make bonsai from them, any other suggestions of plants that i can do this too will be amazing

Reaction score
I think the HARDEST part would be cracking the shell without breaking he seed inside!

I noticed when I watched the clip that directions on how to break the seed were included in an imbedded clip. Perhaps I will try this next cherry season.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I tried it several years ago. I cold stratified my seeds in the fridge for several weeks before planting them in pots. I then put them in a protected outdoor area during the middle of winter. I started out with nine seeds but when I removed them from the fridge a few of them floated so I threw those away and planted the rest - approximately six. Only two germinated and one turned out to be an albino which only survived a few weeks.

I still have the second one growing in a pot outside. I let it grow freely for a three or four years but chopped the trunk just before our (southern hemisphere) winter and have recently made the first steps towards training it for bonsai.

I think the HARDEST part would be cracking the shell without breaking he seed inside!

I never cracked the shells on mine. I've planted macadamia nuts without cracking the shells too, and had much better success than I did with the cherries.

Ask a Question