Can Goji berries be grown in hot climates?

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello everybody, and have a great Thanksgiving Day!

I'm contemplating growing Goji berries in the south of Spain, which is a desert - the only one in Europe.
It gets very hot and scorching sunny in the summer - above 50C after July.
Do you think this is doable? I'm new to this, but I do have green fingers with the few plants I have at home and, with a friend of mine, we're looking into starting an organic farming project for healthy foods on the land behind the house.

Many thanks indeed, I look forward to your replies.
L

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I grew them for a couple of years until I decided I didn't like them all that much. All I know about them is that they must have alkaline soil, are very cold hardy and suffer in the Texas summer heat. It was a PITA to keep them alive in our hot summers, which aren't even close to 50 C, even when moved into shade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello everybody, and have a great Thanksgiving Day!

I'm contemplating growing Goji berries in the south of Spain, which is a desert - the only one in Europe.
It gets very hot and scorching sunny in the summer - above 50C after July.
Do you think this is doable? I'm new to this, but I do have green fingers with the few plants I have at home and, with a friend of mine, we're looking into starting an organic farming project for healthy foods on the land behind the house.

Many thanks indeed, I look forward to your replies.
L
It's doable but will take some extra work on your part. They are going to need shade if temperatures are above 38C. Here is a good link with information you are looking for

http://blog.gardenharvestsupply.com/2011/05/20/how-to-grow-goji-berry-plants/

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello Chuck and Java Guy,

Thank you very much for the advice and especially for the very instructional link Java Guy - much appreciated.
Yes, the land in question has a shady side, as it has valleys shaded by the house, once the sun goes over, so I think the situation is still hopeful. I'm in the early stages of my research anyway and I shall keep an eye on anything that can add further insight.

The whole picture is to get a superfoods garden going, of which goji berries will only be a part, but an important one - I wish.
OK, back to you, have a great weekend!
L

Ask a Question