Anyone growing goji?

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on this forum are growing Goji's. I have had some growing now for two years, last year I got blooms but no fruit, hoping for fruit this year...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard they take 2-4 years to really get going, so with a bit of luck you'll have fruit in no time. They are meant to be quite hardy plants aren't they... I'm wondering if we'd be able to grow them in the UK. I love goji berries :)

Reaction score
I have never tried the berries yet, hoping this year for some though. They are supposed to be hardy. We get -10 and they seem to not have any issues with cold, and we have been over 100 more times than I care to even think about this year and they seem to do just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's good to hear, I think I might look into getting a bush next year :)

Reaction score
They are found in the wild in the mountainous regions of China, so should be hardy. I have had a plant in my garden for three years now. I coppice this to grow shoots as a spring green (look for 'matrimony vine' if you want to know how to cook it). But in spring it's extremely fecund so if you make cuttings and stick them in the ground over 90% will root. I have little plants all over the garden now and I've given lots away. Despite being coppiced the parent plant flowered this year so I am hoping for fruit in the next couple of years.

For those in the UK, the plant was first introduced in the 1790s and you can find wild specimens along the south coast. As a result of this the EU consider goji plants an European native, which is why sales of the dried fruit in health food stores are not regulated.

Reaction score
They do sound like easy to grow plants. I love goji berries too.. they look pretty on the bushes.. I have seen some pictures and the look like ornamental plants. I should try and get myself a goji bush sometime.. Space permitting :/

Reaction score
Do you need two different kinds? All mine are the same with no pollinator. My plants look great, and I saw one tiny fruit last year but it dissappeared before I could pick it. Sure would like to get berries!

Reaction score
I am living in the US Virgin Islands and Goji Berries is well-known. You can buy them in a supermarket, local market or you can find them growing wild somewhere. Goji Berries are not hard to grow because I grow them all the time. I have many growing in my backyard and use them for many purposes. I use these berries to make cheesecake, pie, ice cream, juice, jam, rum, syrup, and etc.

Goji Berries grow in all climates and types of soil, and have numerous health benefits. They're said to have a high antioxidant level, protecting eyesight, boosting the immune system, and protecting the liver.

Ask a Question