Bucket Gardening

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been thinking of doing a Rain Gutter Grow system using 5 gallon buckets. What i need to know is what do i do with all the soil at the end of growing system? Can i seal the 5 gallon bucket and reuse next year? Throw it all out and start with new soil?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
5G!:eek::eek::eek::eek:!

I used 6 x 230L and it's still not enough!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you had no disease problems, you can add well aged compost and use the soil again. If there were ANY disease problems, either sterilize the soil or start over. I have used the same bags for three years and had no problems (yet).

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oops! Look like I have misunderstood the question again.

TJohn: You're amazingly frugal. Yes, Tjohn is right - just add fertiliser if there is no pest problem. Or you can rotate crops.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oops! Look like I have misunderstood the question again.

TJohn: You're amazingly frugal. Yes, Tjohn is right - just add fertiliser if there is no pest problem. Or you can rotate crops.
Not frugal, just that dirt around here is hard to come by !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have several containers with herbs, ranging from 1 gal. size to 3 gal. size. I reuse the soil after adding composted chicken manure. Since I use the containers for herbs, I use very little manure. If I were growing vegetables or flowers, I'd use more.
Don't seal the 5 gal. bucket. There is moisture in that soil that can lead to fungal diseases. I put my "used" soil in a large container, let it set open for the winter, and then add the compost a week or so before using the soil again.

Ask a Question