Bonsai a larch? Advice requested.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello,

I have a small larch that my husband calls a bonsai but it's not what I'd call one.

He's sort of half bonsai'ed it for years but he really didn't know what he was doing and it's starting to get out of hand, The main stem is off to the side and it's got nice moss on it, but there's so much excess growth that I am not sure what do do with it. I'm no bonsai expert either but I am a forester and you'd think I'd be knowledgeable enough about trees to handle this, but bonsai is not something I've ever tried. I'm game to learn, but I don't know if this pet tree of his is the best one for me to learn on.

The tree's main trunk is about 3" in diameter now and it's growing in a large planter on our back porch. What I'm wondering is is this tree too big to bonsai? Or, rather, is it too big for a novice like me to bonsai?

20160524_112523_zpsappfgkwa.jpg

Should I just plant it somewhere outside, let it grow and go buy him a smaller tree to learn to bonsai on? I'd love some advice from someone more knowledgeable on bonsai than me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As pictured, the Larch (Larix sp.) is certainly on the large end for a traditional bonsai. Also, I don't advise trying to place it in a traditional, shallow bonsai pot at this stage either. Now that we've dispensed with unnecessary tradition, by all means, do try to creatively prune it, so that it mimics the look of venerable tree of exceptional character.

Start by observing the tree intently from all angles. Imagine what natural forces (wind, snow, etc) would do to this tree in nature and consider multiple ways that this tree could react and overcome such adversity. Sketching and diagramming would be helpful tools. When you are ready, pick up the secateurs. Consider the immediate and future effects of each cut before you make it.

Also consider training some branches with malleable wire, copper is traditional, aluminum works fine.

This larch has adapted well to container culture so far. Do you know how many years it has been in this pot? I mention this because all bonsai will eventually need periodic root pruning, if they are going to survive long term. Consider attempting the first root prune next winter during dormancy.

As for planting it in the ground, since it is already gnarled from pruning and pot growth, it is not an ideal candidate for becoming a stately tree, though it could do well in a specific setting, such as a rockery.

Last edited:

Ask a Question