Basil question?

Reaction score
I've planted basil this summer in my garden. I want to know how long does it take before I can use it in my dinner meals? My basil plants are really tall up to my knee. Is it time to pick?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've planted basil this summer in my garden. I want to know how long does it take before I can use it in my dinner meals? My basil plants are really tall up to my knee. Is it time to pick?
You can pick leaves anytime except when the plant is very young

Reaction score

Although I too would the say same as Chuck - in that you can start picking your Basil from very early on - in fact as soon as it has 3 - 5 sets of leaves - I would just add - that unless you want to collect the seeds its best not to let Basil flower - as it tends to taste a little bitter once it starts to flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Although I too would the say same as Chuck - in that you can start picking your Basil from very early on - in fact as soon as it has 3 - 5 sets of leaves - I would just add - that unless you want to collect the seeds its best not to let Basil flower - as it tends to taste a little bitter once it starts to flower.
How do you maintain your basil throught the summer? I just give mine a haircut when the buds are just beginning to flower. Tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I planted basil, too. The vendor told me that I can cut the stem after picking the leaves and just replant the stem to propagate. However, when I did that, the plant just died. Plus, the rest of the plant seems to darkening. Like it's rotting. I don't know why this is happening.

Reaction score
How do you maintain your basil throught the summer? I just give mine a haircut when the buds are just beginning to flower. Tips?

With some fairly aggressive pruning in order to keep it bushy and stop it from flowering.

Which starts as soon as I have stalks that have 5 sets of leaves and I do by - cutting the tips off leaving 2 sets of leaves at ground level - as doing that will then encourage 2 new shoots on either side of the cut stem and then just keep repeating the process throughout the summer - every time I have stalks with 5 sets of leaves - as that way I always have new shoots which are extremely tasty, very bushy plants and don't ever have to worry about it flowering :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With some fairly aggressive pruning in order to keep it bushy and stop it from flowering.

Which starts as soon as I have stalks that have 5 sets of leaves and I do by - cutting the tips off leaving 2 sets of leaves at ground level - as doing that will then encourage 2 new shoots on either side of the cut stem and then just keep repeating the process throughout the summer - every time I have stalks with 5 sets of leaves - as that way I always have new shoots which are extremely tasty, very bushy plants and don't ever have to worry about it flowering :)
That's what I get for being lazy. I haven't started pruning them until they are just about ready to flower. I suppose this same method will work on most all of the commonly grown herbs as well?

Reaction score
That's what I get for being lazy. I haven't started pruning them until they are just about ready to flower. I suppose this same method will work on most all of the commonly grown herbs as well?

Yes the same method works extremely well with most of the commonly grown herb varieties and very definitely worth the effort - as not only are the herbs easier to care for but much more flavorsome and succulent too - as you get to taste them as they should be - at their very best.

Which as I feel more than sure that you too would notice the difference in flavor - think it may well be a method worth trying - especially as once tried - its normally method that most people adopt for all their herbs :D

Reaction score
I have never had much issues with Basil, as long as you continue to trim them down they seem to be happy. I have never had a basil plant flower on me thankfully. My problem with that is usually with Cilantro, those guys always flower on me too quickly then I get irritated and cut them down too much.

Reaction score
I think I eat my basil to fast for it to ever flower. I like to have several plants going at once, some in the garden and some indoors. Which is good because the basil outside just didn't like the weather this year.

Don't think I could go without my pesto!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I eat my basil to fast for it to ever flower. I like to have several plants going at once, some in the garden and some indoors. Which is good because the basil outside just didn't like the weather this year.

Don't think I could go without my pesto!
So you also know pesto is an addictive substance. I confess I am a substance herb abuser. Is there a 12 step program to help with this? I find it impossible to go cold turkey because what is turkey without herbs?

Reaction score
If there is a 12 step program to get off 'herbs' I will avoid it at all costs. Herbs bring me great pleasure and if that makes me an addict, then I will own the title!

Now get your hands off my pesto! :p

Ask a Question