Avocado tree with brown and spotted leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help! I live in San Diego and am lucky enough that my rental unit has a mature avocado tree in the back patio. I had a pretty good yield of avocados last summer, but now many of the leaves either have light brown spots, are dying, or both. I suspect a nutrient deficiency but am also wondering if some other kind of disease could be afflicting them as well. The tree is growing out of a small patch of dirt but presumably the root system is predominantly underneath the cement paved patio. I am planning to start with an application of standard Citrus & Avocado fertilizer but wonder if you all may have other suggestions to ensure success, such as timing, watering, or other special additives. Thanks so much!

IMG_0768.jpeg
IMG_0769.jpeg
IMG_0770.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My very first thought was ''insects'' so I investigated, and discovered that it may well be lace bugs. Not something I can advise much on, but you could look it up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My very first thought was ''insects'' so I investigated, and discovered that it may well be lace bugs. Not something I can advise much on, but you could look it up.
You were spot on! I checked the underside of my leaves and saw the typical lacebug appearance, possibly with superimposed fungal problem, which apparently is a big problem here. Am hoping to eradicate with an insecticide. Thank you for opening me up to that possibility.

IMG_1448.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Possibly Giant Whitefly. Best controlled by a good spray with water and a good application of worm castings(!). The castings have chitin which is what makes up insect exoskeletons, plants absorb it and deposit it in their leaves which makes them unpalatable and hard to pierce with mouthparts. Ain’t it amazing what Nature can do!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I've never heard of chitin before - similar, but not the same 😆

Ask a Question