Advice On Growing Watermelon?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been trying to germinate watermelons by starting them out in peat pots. They have fertilizer and water daily but why are they shriveling up and dying? There's very nice weather over here plus full sun most days a week. Please give me some tips/advice on growing watermelons! Thank you

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You don't really add fertiliser when the seeds are germinating. Please use compost for seeds and do not add fertiliser until you can see a pair of true leaves. Even then, it should be a very weak dose. You don't need to water daily. The rule of thumb is you wet the compost or sink the whole pot or tray in water until the compost is thoroughly wet. Then you take the pots or tray out and leave it to stand for one whole night so that the water is probably drained. Then you bury the seeds and place the whole thing in a warm place with indirect sunlight. The seeds will germinate because of moisture and warmth. Try not to over-water the seeds. Only water when the compost is dry to touch please!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are these seeds or plants, I presume plants if they are shrivling. If you fertilize seedlings at all it is very little. Pictures would help to determine what is going on.

Ask a Question