Anyone have advice on growing Basil

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to make Basil grow large enough to be worth it, every time I do attempt it the plant is always so small. I just wanted to know if there is anything I could put on it or do that would make it turn into a bush like plant that wouldn't die if I took some clippings from it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am trying to figure out how to make Basil grow large enough to be worth it, every time I do attempt it the plant is always so small. I just wanted to know if there is anything I could put on it or do that would make it turn into a bush like plant that wouldn't die if I took some clippings from it.
I grow basil in a 5 gallon paint bucket. 50/50 compost and garden soil. I drill a few 1/2" holes in the bottom and fill it about 3/4 full. Then I completely soak the soil from top to bottom. I also drill 2 1/2" holes about 2 or 3 inches from the rim on opposite sides of the bucket for ventilation. Then I sprinkle an entire packet of seeds on top of the soil and then firmly press them into the very moist soil. Then I attach saran wrap over the top with a bungee cord. When all the seeds sprout and are up about 3" I take off the plastic. When they get their 2nd or 3rd set of true leaves I thin out to about 20 plants and fertilize with compost tea until they are about a foot tall. Then I fertilize with organic fertilizer and every time I water I water with compost tea. I do all of my herbs this way. Basil will get to 2 1/2' - 3' tall and a very thick bush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you give it enough room, water and sunshine, basil will take off on its own. This year I have basil in two 12 inch pots and after a few days of ridiculous rain it was out of control. I also spray it with a little aspirin water periodically just to help it stay healthy, and I may have given it a bit of epsom salt when I was out feeding all the other plants.

Reaction score
Basil was the first thing I have ever grown and it is quite simple. I enjoy it. Just give it room, water and sun and it usually takes care of itself. I had it in my apartment and it gave off a very nice fregrance as well. :D

Reaction score
I think it would be best if you could actually grow it in the ground. If that's not an option, then you should get a big pot and good quality soil. They need all-day sun, and consistent watering, but not every day.

So basically give it a lot of sunlight, some space and watering and it'll be alright! :)

Reaction score
Well that is good advice. I have noticed the one basil plant that is growing in a pot isn't looking so well, but the one I have in the garden looks really happy.

Ask a Question