What vegetables plants are completely edible?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thats exactly why you can safely eat the leaves of sweet potatoes - as they are not closely related to each other and do in fact belong to two entirely different plant families.

The regular potato - Solanum Tuberosum - belongs to the Solanaceae or Nightshade family and sweet potatoes - Ipomoea Batatas - belong to the Convolvulaceae plant family

and although sweet potatoes are sometimes referred to as yams in some parts of the world - sweet potatoes are not yams - as yams belong to the totally unrelated Dioscoreaceae plant family

Wow, that's a scary fact I wasn't even aware of- I guess it's good to learn all this stuff and pay close attention to it! Wouldn't want to assume something was safe to eat and then find out some bad news later.

Reaction score
I was completely unaware that potato plants were in the nightshade family. That is scary! Are the leaves only slightly toxic? It always amazes me how the produce of a plant can be safe, yet it's leaves, bark, sap, etc. be poisonous. Cherry leaves are a good example of this. I don't understand how the produce can be completely different than the parent plant?Furthermore, how does the process of harvesting not get some of the poison into the produce?

They are actually poisonous not slightly toxic - as all plants in the Nightshade family - which also includes tomatoes, eggplants, sweet peppers and of course deadly nightshade - produce a substance called Solanum in their stems and leaves which is poisonous to both humans and animals.

Which is why the only part of a potato plant that you can safely eat is the bit that grows under the ground - the potato - as eating the stems, flowers, leaves or any part of a potato that has gone green - may well be the one and only time that you ever get to eat them - oh and although not quite as bad - eating raw green tomatoes is not a good idea either.

Not just cherry leaves - but the pips too - which as the pips or stones contain cyanide - I would advise being very careful when eating cherries.

Reaction score
I have read somewhere on this forum that the leaves of sweet potatoes does make a tasty treat as it can be stir-fried or good for stews..even though i haven't gotten the chance to sample it as yet. Here is a recipe that i found online:

Sweet Potato Greens in Coconut Cream
Yield: 4 side servings

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
1 large bunch sweet potato greens
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root (from a 1/2-inch piece)
2 teaspoons grated fresh turmeric root, or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 red thai chili, finely sliced
2-inch lemon grass stalk, trimmed and finely sliced
1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce, or to taste
1 cup coconut cream plus 1 cup water (or substitute 2 cups light or regular coconut milk)
2 to 3 teaspoons raw or brown sugar, or to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

Read more at http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2012/09/sweet-potato-greens-in-coconut-cream.html
Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Trim off any thick stems from greens. Add to boiling water and blanch for 60 seconds, then immediately transfer greens to a bowl filled with ice water to stop the cooking. Drain.

Heat oil in a large pan or wok over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric, chili, and lemongrass and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce.

Add coconut cream and water (or coconut milk) and bring to a simmer. Add blanched greens and return to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Add sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls and serve with rice.

Read more at http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2012/09/sweet-potato-greens-in-coconut-cream.html

That recipe sounds delicious and quick and easy too - so many thanks for sharing it - as its something that I shall be trying out real soon :)

Reaction score
Wow, that's a scary fact I wasn't even aware of- I guess it's good to learn all this stuff and pay close attention to it! Wouldn't want to assume something was safe to eat and then find out some bad news later.

It is yes - and am pleased that the information was helpful to you too - especially as its always good to know these things - particularly as we all have a tendency to think that just because something is natural that its safe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are actually poisonous not slightly toxic - as all plants in the Nightshade family - which also includes tomatoes, eggplants, sweet peppers and of course deadly nightshade - produce a substance called Solanum in their stems and leaves which is poisonous to both humans and animals.

Which is why the only part of a potato plant that you can safely eat is the bit that grows under the ground - the potato - as eating the stems, flowers, leaves or any part of a potato that has gone green - may well be the one and only time that you ever get to eat them - oh and although not quite as bad - eating raw green tomatoes is not a good idea either.

Not just cherry leaves - but the pips too - which as the pips or stones contain cyanide - I would advise being very careful when eating cherries.

Not that I am doubting you completely, but something isn't adding up. The potato and tomato plant are so closely related that it is possible to splice the two together, and create a single plant that produces tomatoes on top, and potatoes underground. If tomato plants are equally as poisonous, then why do they smell identical to the edible fruit (and potato plants don't)? Also, I have ate the leaves on top of a fresh tomato, as well as green tomatoes without any side effects.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is yes - and am pleased that the information was helpful to you too - especially as its always good to know these things - particularly as we all have a tendency to think that just because something is natural that its safe.

You're so right there, people do tend to equate the two but it does seem to be a lot more intricate and detail oriented than many people realize as to what's safe and what's not and how to handle it.

Reaction score
Not that I am doubting you completely, but something isn't adding up. The potato and tomato plant are so closely related that it is possible to splice the two together, and create a single plant that produces tomatoes on top, and potatoes underground. If tomato plants are equally as poisonous, then why do they smell identical to the edible fruit (and potato plants don't)? Also, I have ate the leaves on top of a fresh tomato, as well as green tomatoes without any side effects.

In that case you were very lucky as although eating a small amount of raw green tomatoes as well as the leaves probably wouldn't kill you - I have to say that to suggest that they were safe to eat would in my mind be totally irresponsible - as whether you doubt it or not - it doesn't alter the fact that raw green tomatoes and the leaves are poisonous to humans

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex13349

Ask a Question