What to get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am asking members to please recommend me suitable plants. Thanks. I am new to gardening so I hope I explain well what I am looking for. Now my Dad has died I am the gardener for my Mums 2 gardens but I am a novice.

My Mum has asked me to replace some perennials she doesn't like.

Her stipulations to me are

No plants that are just one colour.

Very colorful flowers.

Flowers years after year.

Flowers spring or maybe very early summer.

Keeps on growing in height and width year after year (and thus at some point in the future will need pruning).

I will show mw my Mum examples of your recommendations and let her choose what she wants.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :). I think your mum gave you a rather tall order ;)...and you have your work cut out for you.
The first thing to do is work out what sort of soil you have in your garden, so you need to find out what the soil ph is - acid or alkaline, or in the middle, neutral. You can either check out what's growing there now, and look those up, or get an inexpensive soil testing kit from a nursery.
The next requirement is whether you'll be planting in a shady or sunny spot, and if the soil is dry or moist.
Do you get plenty of rain there in Liverpool? Are you able to get plenty of water to the plants when it's dry like it was last summer.
The first flowers I think of for the spring months are bulbs, and there are so many to choose from, so I would put those on the list first.
May I ask which flowers mum has that she doesn't like?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadsboys29

Latest Threads