What to do with my weigelas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have 2 weigelas, one on either side of my garden. I’ve never trimmed them. Both are growing very well at the top and bottom but there is a central area (only readily visible on one) which is bare. Some of the branches on both are particularly thick. I’d like to tackle them but not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4853.jpeg
    IMG_4853.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4851.jpeg
    IMG_4851.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you can prune your Weigela now since the flowers are finished.

When to Prune Weigela. After the plant is done blooming in the late spring or early summer is an excellent time to prune Weigela. Flowers only emerge on one-year-old growth, so trimming after the plant has bloomed ensures you do not remove next year's flowers because those branches have not yet started to grow. Google

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Jason, welcome to the forums. Now is a good time to prune those shrubs. They are tough, and will take a good chop. I cut mine down to a height where I can see across them and view the flowers on the top of the shrub, rather than let them shoot up to the sky where the flowers will be out of view. This will not only keep them trim, but the flowering will be far superior.
It is also very easy to take cuttings from Weigela. Plants for free! Prune just above a leaf to about 4ft 6" - or wherever you would like.

1691959237360.png
This will certainly improve flowering!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As advised above, I agree with oneeye. keep your cutting up above where the leaves are growing, and shape the shrub the way you want it to be. Either flat across the top, or a bit rounded which would probably look better. Next spring they should look amazing!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nndeed27

Latest Threads