What’s this tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A little more than a month later and it’s in bloom and just as confusing.:confused:
540AA9EE-5191-4E07-A7EE-784ECC249F41.jpeg

The whole tree in all it’s blooming glory!
540AA9EE-5191-4E07-A7EE-784ECC249F41.jpeg

The stunning tresses of lush blooms!
BCA75679-E988-4058-8209-DF543CDB6EC0.jpeg

Anyone have an idea of what it is?? Neither the flowers or crushed leaves have a scent of any kind. Total bafflement!:oops:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think it could be one of the Garrya family?

Afterthought...... keep thinking some kind of Laurel looking at the flowers :unsure:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have those on campus, so no it's not one of those. I'm thinking it could be a cherry laurel that is struggling and not able to produce regular flowers. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow and see if they give anyone some ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope we can solve this soon, it`s bugging me. I really don`t like Cherry Laurel, had to propagate thousands of them at work and decided they were probably the most boring plant on earth. I have (gladly) never noticed one growing at full height, as most seem to be used as a dull and boring hedge here. I suppose if those buds do open up a bit it will determine the matter.
So! the saga continues.
Will you eventually cut it down?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Probably not. I know in most of the civilized world it's so common and dull, but here it's a novelty and where it is there's no call for anything real showy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I went out and got some more pictures to show more detail.
D47DE601-2C8F-4B50-9759-483F9BE75FC9.jpeg

stem is rough with many small lenticels. Left leaf is under surface, right leaf is upper (petiole removed so it would lay flat)
1F48DE47-1A8D-4CF2-B1F1-AC9B31AADC09.jpeg

The new growth varies from just a blush of red to bright red on the lightest green ones. Pointed buds on the stem are quite noticeable. There are many 2-year-old leaves that have fallen in the last few days. It’s was in the 90s a few days last week and the tree is pushing out lots of new growth. I could not find any identifiable fruits or seeds underneath it. I’ll keep watching to see if it produces any.
I really thought this would be easier to figure out. I thought someone would take one look and say “That’s a xxxx and as common as dirt“.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, I think I might have the answer to it’s identity. I asked on another forum and someone there pointed me to Bamboo-leaf Oak (Quercus myrsinifolia). I was not expecting an Oak of all things!o_O I’ll be watching for acorns or any other fruit/seeds just to be sure.
Thanks to all who helped and took the time to get involved in the search.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well that was interesting! I wasn`t that far out :smug:... there are about 500 different species of Oak. Your soil there must be quite acid then if it`s myrsinifolia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good luck with that ! I would be interested to know how, and indeed if you have success. I`ve always fancied growing Rhododendrons, but haven`t bothered to try as we are on chalk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, it did finally produce...... 10 acorns!!! (y) At least that's how many I could find. Now they're tucked into some nice moist potting soil in the garage waiting for Spring to come so they can pop out and become the glorious, majestic 25-30' green mass they are meant to be!;) Now I have a couple of years to find the perfect spot on campus to create a veritable forest of Bamboo-leaved Oaks.

Ask a Question