Watermlons, Cantelopes, Spaghetti Squash etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks so far for all the extra knowledge! As a teacher I love to learn new things! So, here are my NEW questions.

1. What are good, affordable options for my pH issues? I water with a hose because the garden is so large, so I'm assuming that I would need to mix the soil with something - perhaps peat? If so, how much peat would I need for a 18 by 20 garden?

2. If I am unable to fix the pH issue, would adding epsom salt help most of my plants if they are struggling to uptake nutrients? My gut says no - because the pH is preventing them.

3. Doubting anyone can help make sense out of this, but my father lives a mile from me (same pH, everything.) and he knows NOTHING about his soil and can grow never ending amounts of cucumbers and peppers. He does not experience some of the issues I am. He does not add compost, rarely adds liquid fertilizer, does not water often and does not weed often. ---> Am I missing something? I feel like many people I know have no knowledge of the chemistry behind gardening and they are more successful than I, and living in a big city, we all have the same pH water.

Thanks for the help so far!
This seems strange to me. If your father and you have the same soil and water you can grow things just like he does. You are doing something different. As regards to #2. ES doesn't do anything affecting the Ph of the soil. It affects the plants ability to uptake calcium in high Ph soil conditions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have 18 raised beds and use vinegar/liquid fertilizer at least every other time I water. In the summer it’s a huge pain and can take several hours to water. I’m not sure what other options you have. You could amend sulfur in every year and hope that makes the difference. My gardening philosophy though is to ignore soil ph and just treat the water as I believe that produces better plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok. So below I'd like to restate what I believe I am being told.

1. Dose with Epsom salt. It won't harm any of the plants but could provide needed (possibly) magnesium to the nightshade family (peppers etc.).

2. When I do water (hoping for a fairly wet summer), water with vinegar mixed in to help lower the pH. Right now the pH should be close to neutral because the ground has been soaked in snow etc. and has not been watered since last Sept.

3. Discontinue use of liquid fertilizer. Compost is enough.

Is this correct?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok. So below I'd like to restate what I believe I am being told.

1. Dose with Epsom salt. It won't harm any of the plants but could provide needed (possibly) magnesium to the nightshade family (peppers etc.).

2. When I do water (hoping for a fairly wet summer), water with vinegar mixed in to help lower the pH. Right now the pH should be close to neutral because the ground has been soaked in snow etc. and has not been watered since last Sept.

3. Discontinue use of liquid fertilizer. Compost is enough.

Is this correct?
Not really. Epsom salts does add a little magnesium but that is not the main purpose. Its main purpose is to allow the plant to uptake calcium.
Compost by itself is not enough. You still need a balanced fertilizer, whether liquid or in pelleted form. And please, stay away from synthetics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok. So it's still useful to add epsom salt anyway? It won't cause any harm to most plants - correct?

What brands would you recommend for a balanced fertilizer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok. So it's still useful to add epsom salt anyway? It won't cause any harm to most plants - correct?

What brands would you recommend for a balanced fertilizer?
ES won't harm anything and it can and might be useful to you. The only organic fertilizer that I know of that is nation wide is Espoma. Just talk to your local nursery. Make sure that the product is labeled OMRI

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a package of cantaloupe seeds, but I don't even need them it seems like... I composted a cantaloupe and it seems like all the seeds germinated:confused:

024.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Epsom salts won’t hurt anything. If you’re going to start messing with ph, which I think all gardeners should, make sure to measure it. Otherwise you’re flying blind and guessing, which could vaporize your plants.

Amend the soil with nutrients that will support calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium uptake longer term. Things like oyster shell meal, fish bone meal, and rock phosphate. Some amendments have several so read the labels.

As for liquid fertilizer I personally use exotic hybrids and organics but there are some decent options now. The output difference can be astronomical however. And again read labels and expect a ph change when you mix them in. Some of my fertilizers will take my 8.2 well water and turn it into a 6.7. If I were to accidentally add vinegar to that, it would bathe their roots in a 5 or something, which could still end up starving the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you for the tip regarding the pH change after adding fertilizer. It's something I've never thought of before!

I know a guy who owns a landscaping company and he said he'd hook me up with a soil test kit - no idea what it'll test but maybe it'll provide me with some extra information that could help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you for the tip regarding the pH change after adding fertilizer. It's something I've never thought of before!

I know a guy who owns a landscaping company and he said he'd hook me up with a soil test kit - no idea what it'll test but maybe it'll provide me with some extra information that could help!
It can help with adding certain rocks to balance it out. For example gypsum is a neutral source of calcium but lime will raise the ph and sulfur will lower it. All 3 can provide calcium though longer term and they’re fairly cheap. I go with gypsum but would obviously benefit from sulfur since my water is 8.2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qcurrys

Latest Threads