Tulip Poplar--Dead or Alive?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Early in the spring, the leaves began to fall off my tulip poplar, which was planted about 3 years ago. As soon as the leaves would bud out, they fell off. (I have a similarly aged Sycamore about 10 feet away that is doing fine). Online sources indicated that perhaps it was underwatered so I watered it well. A few weeks into the season, new shoots began to show up from the bottom of the tree, like suckers. I decided to just let it be and see what happened. The shoots keep getting bigger and bigger. I have read that another source of the problem could be Verticillium Wilt, and that sometimes the tree can actually survive that disease. Is there any way to tell if this tree will make it? We have had some severe weather here. Last summer was extremely hot, followed by an unusually cold winter. Both my tulip poplars seemed to be dying and then started growing from the ground up. Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• Nellie-Poplar.jpg
    Nellie-Poplar.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United States
You can cut the dead trunk down leaving the green stems to grow. Let the green stems mature more and in the spring next year pick one stem and cut the rest down and regrow it back into a tree. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks. The technique you suggest seems to be the consensus among other tree growers with similar issues. I'm wondering when I should cut the main trunk. It's about 3-4" in diameter, I think. Still green under the bark...and suckers growing strong, despite extreme heat here in Arkansas.

Ask a Question