Tomorrow 8/7c.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just for interest. Bron and I watch lots of YouTube movies and have been puzzled for some time when a pop up advertising another movie has something like "Tomorrow 8/7c" included; we know American spelling is different to our English spelling but we couldn't understand this so this morning I've browsed the web for an answer;

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/15174/what-does-8-7c-mean

Certainly no offence intended or indeed inferred to our American friends and it would never have occurred to us that due to the vastness of America compared to the UK America has to adjust the time whereas here in the UK at around 1,000 miles from top to bottom the time is regarded constant.

As I say this is just for a bit of interest; I've never been abroad in fact there are many places in the UK I've never visited; going outside Yorkshire is quite rare for me; for well over ten years the furthest Bron and I have travelled is to The Lake District only 100 miles each way. We love being at home. :) (y) :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In addition to 4 time zones,
E = Eastern
C = Central
M = Mountain
P =- Pacific

we also have DST...Daylight Savings Time lasts from about the beginning of April until the beginning of November (used to be on set dates; now it varies). During DST, we turn the clocks ahead 1 hour "creating" a later sunrise and later sunset.

The idea of daylight saving was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin. Here's an article regarding DST rationale: http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Try explaining daylight savings time to a flock of hens! They expect the sun to rise and me to arrive with their feed at exactly the same instant. The fact that I get up in daylight now is not pleasing them one little bit.
Fortunately, the cats are more flexible. They just sit at 6 a.m. cat time and yowl until the food bowl arrives. I used to like Benjamin Franklin . . . .

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Moonshadows for adding the information. Once the facts are known then it makes sense but I confess it really seemed most strange each time the message appeared. (y)

Thanks marlingardner; I fully understand how your hens behave; I awake 6am every day whether clocks go forward or backward; I must somehow adjust automatically to the hour shift in time.

I don't like our winters; the clock means an hour extra daylight in the morning but I'd much prefer an hour extra in the afternoon;

Sunrise 07:21 Sunset 16:20

Sunset today as seen above is 16:20. Bahhhhhhhhh. Summers are bad enough being mostly a wet black hole but we now face many many months of miserable; dreary and depressing black hole until our next joke of a summer arrives. Shortest day here in the UK this year is 21st December and I'm always glad to see the back of it. Our next clock change is March 25th 2018 but it's common for us to see the daffodils poking through snow well into April especially on the higher ground; if I wasn't so cheerful I could really get depressed. ;)

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2016/04/27/snow-in-late-april-more-common-than-you-may-think/

I've just endured our wonderful UK summer where it's poured with rain; been a miserable black hole; gale force wind; thunder and lightning and one day it pelted me with hailstones; there is little difference these days in any of the seasons but on the rare occasion when the sun does shine and it's calm I wouldn't wish to live anywhere else on the planet. Any day at over 15C (59F) is a bonus and 25C is a scorcher. We Brits are obsessed by the weather. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Try explaining daylight savings time to a flock of hens! They expect the sun to rise and me to arrive with their feed at exactly the same instant. The fact that I get up in daylight now is not pleasing them one little bit. I used to like Benjamin Franklin . . . .

I LOVE Daylight Saving Time. It's standard time that I hate. It gets dark way too early for me. DST should be year-round!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I remember two funny stories on the news when Savings Time was reinstated during the oil shortage-
A farmer being interviewed stated that the extra hour of sunlight was burning his crops up.

A school principal argued that we had to go back to standard time in the fall or children would be going to school in the dark. I guess it never occurred to her that they can change the school hours at will to prevent that.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Behave yourself Silentrunning. ;)

I remember two funny stories on the news when Savings Time was reinstated during the oil shortage-
A farmer being interviewed stated that the extra hour of sunlight was burning his crops up.

A school principal argued that we had to go back to standard time in the fall or children would be going to school in the dark. I guess it never occurred to her that they can change the school hours at will to prevent that.

Changing the school hours here in the UK would involve Parliament at the highest level; local councils and the human rights lot just to name a few; no one person can make a firm and sensible decision any longer; the simplest decision now takes many people and endless meetings before being decided upon? Where's it all going to end? :(

Sunset today for us was 16:16 and it gets worse daily until the shortest day on the 21st December.

I just had a thought; don't kids get driven to school these days in 4x4s that have headlights so why bother changing the clocks?

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:

Ask a Question