Tomatos

Reaction score
I have some great tomato plants in my green house, and next to a south facing wall, however, despite regular watering and feeding, the fruit are not ripening, all of it is still green and has been for well over two weeks in some cases !

I've even tried hanging banana skins next to them, but still no sign of ripening, any tips would be welcome please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have some great tomato plants in my green house, and next to a south facing wall, however, despite regular watering and feeding, the fruit are not ripening, all of it is still green and has been for well over two weeks in some cases !

I've even tried hanging banana skins next to them, but still no sign of ripening, any tips would be welcome please.
Patience, don't over water and all will be fine

Reaction score
Patience, don't over water and all will be fine

It's strange how years back the tomatos in my Dads greenhouse seemed to ripen almost overnight, mine seem to be taking an age.

I'm still feeding weekly, and due to the amount of fruit on each plant I'm giving each plant about a half UK Gallon a day, is this enough or too much ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's strange how years back the tomatos in my Dads greenhouse seemed to ripen almost overnight, mine seem to be taking an age.

I'm still feeding weekly, and due to the amount of fruit on each plant I'm giving each plant about a half UK Gallon a day, is this enough or too much ?
Tomatoes like slightly dry feet. Stick you index finger all the way into the soil and then blow on it. If you can feel a cooler sensation on your finger the plant does not need water. One good soaking every 7-10 days is normally plenty for a tomato in the ground. In a container it will vary. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often. If your tomatoes are full sized now be careful of over watering. If a tomato has a large influx of water it may split when reaching its mature size

Reaction score
Tomatoes like slightly dry feet. Stick you index finger all the way into the soil and then blow on it. If you can feel a cooler sensation on your finger the plant does not need water. One good soaking every 7-10 days is normally plenty for a tomato in the ground. In a container it will vary. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often. If your tomatoes are full sized now be careful of over watering. If a tomato has a large influx of water it may split when reaching its mature size

Thats a good tip, I will submit that one to the memory banks !

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Heat is the main factor :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No, let them bide, if its warm then they'll ripen, just can't rush nature :)

Ask a Question