The Loyalty Penalty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure most people are aware that when your car insurance comes up for renewal, you get an automatic choice to be able "to do nothing" to get it renewed, but you won't get as cheap a price as you would if you were a new customer. Insurers know many don't bother to query the new premium and just let it renew automatically.
So if you don't want to do that, you have to go though the usual chore of phoning them up and they then do you a "special favour" and reduce it down to the quote you got a few days ago when you went on their site as if you were a new customer."They have ways of finding this out."
I've had car and home insurance for about ten years with LV. But today I'd had enough. They'd put the renewal of my car insurance up by 8%. When I phoned and complained, I got the usual "special offer" of a reduction to the price I'd already got on line, but I still wasn't happy. When I asked why with a similar accident history and no convictions, my Honda CRV costed more than £100 a year to insure than a friends similar aged BMW 2ltr, I got the "Hondas cost more to repair," nonsense.

Now those adverts for "Compare the Meerkat" do nothing but annoy me, but having randomly chosen a few insurers for a quote and not got a better one than LV.
I gave them a go. I got 70 quotes, a dozen cheaper than LV for exactly the same cover. So I went with General Accident, which was the cheapest and saved myself £100 on the original quote from LV. It was all pretty painless, done on-line in a few minutes. There's a shared data base for insurers that keeps a record of your accident and any driving convictions history. I couldn't remember how long I'd had a no claims bonus but G A knew.

Ask a Question