Summer Crops

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Hello all,
Hope everyone’s doing great,

I’m hoping to put some plants in my backyard this summer and the only obstacles I face are the weather and the time.

Regarding the weather, I live in a mountainous area (900-1000m) and during summer, the weather is unpredictable: some days it’s extremely foggy and some days it’s scorched earth. Nevertheless it’s mostly warm.

Some plants were able to survive and actually thrive like peppers, eggplants and some herbs such as basil and mint. Tomatoes and cucumbers had a hard time and we got a very small yield relative to their potential. We also had to put on some nets to protect them from pests while the pepper plant didn’t need them at all.

As for the time, I’ll be there second week of June till late September and I consider myself a beginner so I would love to grow tomatoes but I don’t want to invest great time and space and not have a great yield.

What do you guys think I should grow?

So far, I’m considering the following: White Lisbons (I want an onion/spring onion that will grow quickly), Basil, Mint, Peppers, and Sunflowers (We don’t have so many sunny days but I already have seeds and I want to experiment with them)

Thank you Gs

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

That is a challenge :eek:

You're right to go for the quick growing catch crops. If you could keep them watered I would go for a bulbing fennel too, I struggle to grow them here as they bolt in our cold climate.

French Beans would be a good one, quick to grow and good croppers, maybe one of the dwarf varieties?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So far, I’m considering the following: White Lisbons (I want an onion/spring onion that will grow quickly), Basil, Mint, Peppers, and Sunflowers (We don’t have so many sunny days but I already have seeds and I want to experiment with them)
Welcome.
Cyprus is very Mediterranean. Experiment with everything Mediterranean. Parsley (grow lots and use as greens), greens (lettuces, spinach), French beans, fennel, marjoram, oregano, thyme, peas, corn, spaghetti squash, zucchini, melons, potatoes etc. You will be able to know what grows for next time.
The sunflowers are a good idea because in this ever-changing world of gardening it is now advised to plant a variety of plants to feed the soil microbes. I would add flowers and native plants for permanent soil coverage, biodiversity (encourage birds, bees etc.) and pest control. Some will winter over and will be there next year, providing you with shade, interest and wind protection.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Welcome.
Cyprus is very Mediterranean. Experiment with everything Mediterranean. Parsley (grow lots and use as greens), greens (lettuces, spinach), French beans, fennel, marjoram, oregano, thyme, peas, corn, spaghetti squash, zucchini, melons, potatoes etc. You will be able to know what grows for next time.
The sunflowers are a good idea because in this ever-changing world of gardening it is now advised to plant a variety of plants to feed the soil microbes. I would add flowers and native plants for permanent soil coverage, biodiversity (encourage birds, bees etc.) and pest control. Some will winter over and will be there next year, providing you with shade, interest and wind protection.
Actually the time is limited cause it’s in Lebanon not Cyprus but it’s a very similar climate.
I won’t be able to find seedlings so should I grow my own seeds beginning second week of June? Or should I go with whatever’s available from the list you provided?
I’m also traveling this week and going back May 11th so maybe I could get someone to care for the seeds so when I come they’re ready for transplanting

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Or should I go with whatever’s available from the list you provided?
Buy seedlings wherever you can to shorten the growing time. If you can't buy seedlings, then you have to plant seeds.
I always enjoy gardening so deliberately relax and do what you can.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm doing this because of heat and drought here.

I'm mulching and using Shade Cloth.

Like I told my wife I think it's not the heat giving me trouble it is the direct sunlight.

big rockpile

Ask a Question