6A thru 5B
My favorite is bacon wrapped squirrel.

squirrel legs, front or rear, amount depends upon how hungry you are
~ beer
~ garlic powder
~ pepper
~ salt
~ minced onion
~ hickory smoked bacon Soak the legs in beer for 2 – 3 hours. Remove and drain.

Sprinkle to taste with garlic powder, pepper, salt and the minced onion (or if you have a favorite dry rub for grilled squirrel you can use that instead).

Wrap each leg with bacon. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Place on hot grill (charcoal grill recommended for a nice smoky flavor, although a gas or electric grill will do the trick). Cook over medium heat until cooked through, tend to the meat as your cooking to make sure you do not over cook.

Fried Squirrel with Mushroom Gravy

3 squirrels, cut into serving pieces
~ flour
~ salt and pepper
~ 2 eggs, beaten
~ 3 – 4 pieces bacon, chopped
~ 1 medium onion, chopped
~ 1 can cream of mushroom soup
~ 1 soup can milk
Season the flour to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a bowl. Beat the eggs in another bowl.

Heat some oil in a large skillet.

Dip the squirrel pieces in the egg and then the flour. Repeat if you want. Add to hot oil.

Fry until golden brown. Remove and drain fat. Return to skillet.

Cover with the bacon and onion.

Mix the soup and milk together and pour over meat.

Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.

if you over harvest there is none for next year.

:D Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My favorite is bacon wrapped squirrel.

squirrel legs, front or rear, amount depends upon how hungry you are
~ beer
~ garlic powder
~ pepper
~ salt
~ minced onion
~ hickory smoked bacon Soak the legs in beer for 2 – 3 hours. Remove and drain.

Sprinkle to taste with garlic powder, pepper, salt and the minced onion (or if you have a favorite dry rub for grilled squirrel you can use that instead).

Wrap each leg with bacon. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Place on hot grill (charcoal grill recommended for a nice smoky flavor, although a gas or electric grill will do the trick). Cook over medium heat until cooked through, tend to the meat as your cooking to make sure you do not over cook.

Fried Squirrel with Mushroom Gravy

3 squirrels, cut into serving pieces
~ flour
~ salt and pepper
~ 2 eggs, beaten
~ 3 – 4 pieces bacon, chopped
~ 1 medium onion, chopped
~ 1 can cream of mushroom soup
~ 1 soup can milk
Season the flour to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a bowl. Beat the eggs in another bowl.

Heat some oil in a large skillet.

Dip the squirrel pieces in the egg and then the flour. Repeat if you want. Add to hot oil.

Fry until golden brown. Remove and drain fat. Return to skillet.

Cover with the bacon and onion.

Mix the soup and milk together and pour over meat.

Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.

if you over harvest there is none for next year.

My Grandmother would cook the squirrel gravy dish for me as a boy. Good times and Great memories!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Belgian Squirrel
  • 3 large squirrels
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 18 pitted prunes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup cold water
  1. Clean squirrels. Burn away any fur that clings. Rinse the meat though several changes of water and pat dry. Cut squirrels into serving pieces.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  3. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add squirrel pieces and fry until browned on all sides, but do not cook through. Remove the squirrel pieces to a large Dutch oven or oven safe crock. Add onions to the butter in the skillet; cook and stir until tender and browned. Pour the onions and butter into the pot with the squirrel. Fill with enough water to almost cover the meat. Mix in the vinegar and season with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and place in the oven.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove the pot from the oven and add the prunes. Return to the oven and reduce the heat to 325 degrees F. Continue baking for another 45 minutes.
  5. Remove the pot from the oven. Mix the flour and cold water together in a cup. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat and prunes to a serving dish. Set the pot on the stove and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and water and simmer, stirring constantly, until the gravy is thick enough to coat a metal spoon. Serve meat with a lot of gravy.

Squirrel & Dressing

~ 3 - 4 young squirrels
~ 2 sticks butter or margarine
~ 1 large onion, chopped
~ 2 loaves white bread, toasted
~ milk
~ 1 dozen eggs
~ 1 box dehydrated vegetable soup (2 pouches)

Clean and remove all hair and shot from squirrels, only the front and hind legs are used. Parboil them in a pan of water on the stove until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. Remove the meat and set aside.

Melt the 2 sticks of butter or margarine in a saute pan, add the chopped onion. Saute until the onion is tender.

In a mixing bowl place the toasted bread, add enough milk to soften it. Add the sauted onion/butter mixture, the dozen eggs, and the squirrel meat. To this add one package of the dry soup mix. Take the other package and with a slotted spoon remove and add the dry vegetable flakes. (You don't want to add all the powder from this package into your dressing, it'll make it too salty!)

Mix all the ingredients together well.

Place in a 9 x 13 cake pan.

Bake at 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@Palladini I feed the birds and this is how I kept the squirrels from digging up the plants.

As was suggested, do this to your pots immediately after seeding. The plants grow up through the wire cloth. And the squirrels can't dig. You have time before the spring to source the metal cloth , TSC 1/2" is what I use.
1545251148770-1458203425.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Belgian Squirrel
  • 3 large squirrels
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 18 pitted prunes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup cold water
  1. Clean squirrels. Burn away any fur that clings. Rinse the meat though several changes of water and pat dry. Cut squirrels into serving pieces.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  3. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add squirrel pieces and fry until browned on all sides, but do not cook through. Remove the squirrel pieces to a large Dutch oven or oven safe crock. Add onions to the butter in the skillet; cook and stir until tender and browned. Pour the onions and butter into the pot with the squirrel. Fill with enough water to almost cover the meat. Mix in the vinegar and season with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and place in the oven.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove the pot from the oven and add the prunes. Return to the oven and reduce the heat to 325 degrees F. Continue baking for another 45 minutes.
  5. Remove the pot from the oven. Mix the flour and cold water together in a cup. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat and prunes to a serving dish. Set the pot on the stove and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and water and simmer, stirring constantly, until the gravy is thick enough to coat a metal spoon. Serve meat with a lot of gravy.

Squirrel & Dressing

Melt the 2 sticks of butter or margarine in a saute pan, add

Bake at 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.

If you can, please tell me what other creature a squirrel would resemble in taste?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you can, please tell me what other creature a squirrel would resemble in taste?
A squirrel is all dark meat and I know of no other animal of which this is true. A squirrel, unless young, is tough also. I suppose the closest animal to squirrels in the kitchen would be cottontail rabbits and another rodent of which I will explain.
Back in the late 1960's I went to Bangkok and had a local native for a "guide". We were walking down the street when I saw what looked BBQ'ed chicken legs. It only cost 5 cents so I bought one and it was delicious. I told my guide that the chicken leg was great at which she replied "Sawgen, dat not flied chicken, dat flied lat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12B
Country
Canada
For years, my three top big male cats have kept the squirrel population in check, also the rabbits. They are now in heaven. I have a good neighbor who has taken on the task of ridding the area of them. He has take out 46 of them so far this season. they are gone.
In my town, you kill a squirrel, in any way, you get fined $2000

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12B
Country
Canada
Maybe instead of getting rid of the squirrels you should get rid of the politicians.
This year, I put chicken wire over every pot I planted in. Be it my Peppers, Tomatoes, Herbs, but my Wife has houseplants she puts out, and they got all ripped up, and it is squirrels doing the deed. My Neighbour feeds the birds and puts peanuts out for the squirrels

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We put a few peanuts out for the squirrel, I think we only have one. But only a very few nuts. Too many and it'll start burying them in the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In my town, you kill a squirrel, in any way, you get fined $2000
Squirrel patrol. interesting. how would they know. who's going to tell them?

Anyway, I use hot pepper suet for my birds, burns the squirrels mouths. don't put out peanuts. I might have said earlier, the day you experience driving down the drive in your truck and press for a break and nothing happens, then you stressfully pull the emergency brake and down shift quickly to find out later a squirrel ate the break lines, you will then HATE the squirrel. OH yes, and the cost of a tow truck, and the cost of fixing it. One year I also started my little white sports car up and smoke started coming out of the engine area. stopped and open the hood to see a nest of nuts in there. then you HATE squirrels. We have 3 acres and there are plenty of nuts that fall, a huge corn field above, plenty of place for them to eat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milevaa

Latest Threads