Squirels and what to do about them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12B
Country
Canada
For years, my three top big male cats have kept the squirrel population in check, also the rabbits. They are now in heaven. I have a good neighbor who has taken on the task of ridding the area of them. He has take out 46 of them so far this season. they are gone.
In my town, you kill a squirrel, in any way, you get fined $2000

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12B
Country
Canada
Maybe instead of getting rid of the squirrels you should get rid of the politicians.
This year, I put chicken wire over every pot I planted in. Be it my Peppers, Tomatoes, Herbs, but my Wife has houseplants she puts out, and they got all ripped up, and it is squirrels doing the deed. My Neighbour feeds the birds and puts peanuts out for the squirrels

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We put a few peanuts out for the squirrel, I think we only have one. But only a very few nuts. Too many and it'll start burying them in the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In my town, you kill a squirrel, in any way, you get fined $2000
Squirrel patrol. interesting. how would they know. who's going to tell them?

Anyway, I use hot pepper suet for my birds, burns the squirrels mouths. don't put out peanuts. I might have said earlier, the day you experience driving down the drive in your truck and press for a break and nothing happens, then you stressfully pull the emergency brake and down shift quickly to find out later a squirrel ate the break lines, you will then HATE the squirrel. OH yes, and the cost of a tow truck, and the cost of fixing it. One year I also started my little white sports car up and smoke started coming out of the engine area. stopped and open the hood to see a nest of nuts in there. then you HATE squirrels. We have 3 acres and there are plenty of nuts that fall, a huge corn field above, plenty of place for them to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
My friend Bill a critter lover bought a new diesel powered Ford truck. about a month later driving to work the gauges on the dash went wonkers then cleared up. Note was made to report to dealer service manager at the first check up.
Next day on the way to work the gauges once again went wonkers then the truck just died. Tow truck to the nearest Ford dealer. Insurance covered that cost but some work hours were missed never the less.

Ford dealers charge looking for the cause charge $280.00 not covered by warranty because a squirrel caused the problem. New wire harness $432.00, $410.00 in labor cost to remove and replace the damaged wire harness in the engine compartment.

Today Bill owns a air rifle and has gotten very good at head shots on squirrels. Feeds most to the hawks and other meat eatting wild critters in the area at the back of his property.
Still loives critters but today squirrels are not considered as critters they are vermon like mice and rats.

Think I will go out and shoot a limit (5) for tomorrows dinner, bacon wrapped baked squirrel YUM.

:D Al

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements