Soil mixtures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any kits you recommend? It should test pH and nutrients right. As well as be able to do tes many times?
A soil test and a Ph test are two different things. You have to send off soil samples to a soil testing business to get available nutrient data. The Ph test is sort of like a litmus test. You can do it many times. I will try to help you all I can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok thanks. Should I do a soil nutrient test or a pH test
Ph test now and MAYBE a soil test later. In container gardening soil fertility is much easier to achieve. What you NEED to know is whether your growing medium is acidic or alkaline and how much it is, either way. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ok I googled pH test for soil and there is a method involving distilled water at home. Is that okay? If not, what do you recommend?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok I googled pH test for soil and there is a method involving distilled water at home. Is that okay? If not, what do you recommend?
That will work, somewhat. It shows whether acidic or alkaline but not how much. Walmart has a little test kit for about $8 online that will give you a much better result. It has 100 test strips and will be close enough for your purposes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
By any chance would pH strips for pools work, I already have those? And if not, could you please post the Walmart link for the one you mentioned, can't seem to find one that is for soil as well as has 100 strips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
By any chance would pH strips for pools work, I already have those? And if not, could you please post the Walmart link for the one you mentioned, can't seem to find one that is for soil as well as has 100 strips.

There are all kinds online. Just google soil Ph test kits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ok, I have one at my house that is used for pool testing, so I'll go with that one, but it tests liquids, how would I test the pH of soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, I have one at my house that is used for pool testing, so I'll go with that one, but it tests liquids, how would I test the pH of soil
I haven't used one in years but you make a soil solution. I don't know if pool test kits will work with soil or not. I kinda doubt it but I may be wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I haven't used one in years but you make a soil solution. I don't know if pool test kits will work with soil or not. I kinda doubt it but I may be wrong.

Okay, I have two different pH strips so I'll use both for better results. I looked online on how to do a soil test, and there is no clear proportion of soil, distilled water, as well as vinegar. How much should I use of each, and how long should I let it settle for after mixing the three. Also, since I am growing in pots, I guess the depth of the soil in pots doesn't matter much for a pH test right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay, I have two different pH strips so I'll use both for better results. I looked online on how to do a soil test, and there is no clear proportion of soil, distilled water, as well as vinegar. How much should I use of each, and how long should I let it settle for after mixing the three. Also, since I am growing in pots, I guess the depth of the soil in pots doesn't matter much for a pH test right?
If you don't find what you are looking for online look at more sites. I found this in about 10 seconds

Just go get a cheap Ph test kit. It will have directions. I help folks with gardening problems. I don't do online work for them.

Ask a Question