Sheep have come

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
My gracious, and I thought that our feral emus were strange! When the emu oil market plummeted, many Texans who expected to retire on their emu fund just let the big birds go. We have emus trotting through suburbs and scaring small children.
I do hope there was no get-rich-quick scheme involving wallabies or kangaroos in Texas! But, they are much cuter than emus . . . .
I know emus can be very cheeky, Marlingardener. At a sanctuary not far from here they take food right out of your hand, pretty scary for kids. I hope you don't end up with a little Aussie feral population, we might just send over a Swaggie or 2 complete with corks hanging from his hat to keep the flies at bay, assumming you have flies, we might have to include a batch of them, too.:LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Although there aren't great numbers of Loaghtan they are bred for food and the meat has a wonderful flavour. :)

This may surprise you but we also have Wallabies here. The only place in Britain where they are living wild having escaped from a wildlife park many years ago. The numbers are small and they are elusive but I was lucky to see one while driving at night a few years ago, I've lived here twenty three years.

Yes, I am surprised to hear you have wallabies there Sheal. Very slow lumbering things they are. They have obviously adapted to your environment.. Thanks for sharing that.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Aww, little lams got to be some of the cutest animals ever :love::cry: If you see them again tell them I love them :D I've always wanted to pet and feed one of those little lamb, there is something about the baby of the sheep that makes the so adorable!
Lambs are adorable.:love: I have fed them on occasion and they really suckle. I'd hate to be a mother sheep.:eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Deborahjane, we have plenty of flies, thank you--you don't need to send any over. However, I'd love to have a Swaggie come. I'm sure he'd be the hit of the line dancing at the local community hall.
There is something so cheerful, so carefree about Aussies. They are pretty good bull riders, too. For years they dominated the Professional Bull Riders Association, until the Brazilians showed up. Now there is a population of retired Australian bull riders with ranches in or near Stephenville, Texas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Deborahjane, we have plenty of flies, thank you--you don't need to send any over. However, I'd love to have a Swaggie come. I'm sure he'd be the hit of the line dancing at the local community hall.
There is something so cheerful, so carefree about Aussies. They are pretty good bull riders, too. For years they dominated the Professional Bull Riders Association, until the Brazilians showed up. Now there is a population of retired Australian bull riders with ranches in or near Stephenville, Texas.
How interesting. I didn't know about our success as bull riders. I wonder if they started as jackaroos, guys who work on our massive farms in our outback. There are jillaroos too! I wonder if you have flies like ours. Really pretty horrible, ride on your back and we have the Aussie wave going constantly....hence the Swaggie hat, not that we'd wear one, not very flattering or classy!

Reaction score
Lambs are adorable.:love: I have fed them on occasion and they really suckle. I'd hate to be a mother sheep.:eek:

Hahahaha! That is one of the things I need to add to my bucket list: feeding a lamb. Are they as friendly as them seem?

Ask a Question