Scottish Independence

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It is my belief that anyone outside London should hope for Scottish Independence.
The regions of England, although they don't perhaps have a similar distinct national identity as Scots, NEED real political and economic power devolved, so as to be independent in a social, if not political sense.

Having an economy so biased towards City of London, and SE England, that it suits most there, and builds their wealth highest, may be deemed ok, if the need for compensatory support for places that DON'T have huge financial centres, and who lose their best talent to London, is agreed and paid with good grace.
That has stopped being the case.
Those in the regions of England, in Scotland, in Wales, in Northern Ireland, who are disadvantaged by Londrocentric Govt. economic policy, regions stripped of their best talent by London (which, by the way, HS2 is INTENDED to exacerbate) the jobless, the disabled, and the poverty stricken, find themselves the butt of propaganda which describes them as lazy, shiftless malingerers or worse, unworthy of help.

We all need to assert ourselves to break the power of the dark star, or the UK becomes London and wilderness.

It is right that Scotland leads in that assertion by breaking free from London, and offering an alternative prospect of real opportunity, not only for its own people, but also for those of the rest of the UK, until they see Scotland's example as a lead and that they too can build the local prosperous society of their own choosing.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree about the London bit, not much opportunity down here in Dorset either. Just not sure an independent Scotland (or Cornwall) is the way to go. Devolution of central power yes, but the break up of the Union? Not so sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28953881

'Deeply elitist UK locks out diversity at top'

The UK is "deeply elitist" according to new analysis of the backgrounds of more than 4,000 business, political, media and public sector leaders.
Small elites, educated at independent schools and Oxbridge, still dominate top roles, suggests the Social Mobility and Child Poverty Commission study.
It says key institutions do not represent the public they serve.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-28960729

Scottish independence: Firms say 'Yes' vote would benefit economy

More than 200 business figures have signed an open letter backing Scottish independence.
Stagecoach chairman Sir Brian Souter and Clyde Blowers boss Jim McColl are among signatories who say independence is in Scotland's economic interest.
It comes a day after a similar letter from 130 pro-UK business leaders said the case for independence had not been made.
The pro-independence letter has been published in The Herald newspaper.
Other signatories include Ralph Topping, retired chief executive of William Hill, Professor Nathu Puri, founder of Purico, former Scottish Enterprise chairman Sir Donald Mackay and former RBS chairman Sir George Mathewson.
The letter states: "An independent Scotland will recognise entrepreneurs small and large as the real wealth and job creators of the nation's economic future.

Zigs, you cannot have devolution of central powers, because the elite keep control of them to serve themselves.
No ruling elite has ever given up real powers voluntarilly.
It is only by losing Scotland that the elite will realise that they have to treat what remains of the UK with more respect.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The elite will keep control no matter what we do, doesn't matter what party is in government there's always the old boys club behind the scenes that's actually running things.

Don't think Scotland pulling out will make a blind bit of difference to them unless you don't let them back in to shoot Grouse and play golf.

Now there's a thought, gotta be some way of making the sods pay back for the clearances :devil:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The elite will keep control no matter what we do, doesn't matter what party is in government there's always the old boys club behind the scenes that's actually running things.

Don't think Scotland pulling out will make a blind bit of difference to them unless you don't let them back in to shoot Grouse and play golf.

Now there's a thought, gotta be some way of making the sods pay back for the clearances :devil:
That's not so. The UK establishment including the BBC and CBI are obviously crapping themselves at the thought of Scotland leaving; the pro-Union propaganda is overwhelming, so much so that, in my view, it has poisoned any long-term hope for the Union.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like we've been cursed to live in interesting times then :eek:

Still, it'll be more jobs for the West Country, got a load of Nukes to find a port for.

If we make the docks big enough we might be able to rent half of it out to Russia. I hear they're looking for a new place to put theirs too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
When you start believing politicians lies and double speak then we really are in trouble.
Having been born and brought up in Edinburgh, where I still live and work, I would say it is only a small minority of my friends and colleagues who are going to vote yes.
Alex Salmond hasn't thought the issues through well enough when it comes to currency, and how he's going to fund all his welfare spending.
I for one will be moving my money in to an English bank account should the yes vote win.
Latest YouGov poll is the first to show a majority FOR independence:

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/09/07/scotland-yes-blitzkrieg-wipes-out-no-lead/

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I voted against in that poll

Ask a Question