Ronde de Nice Zucchini — Looks Terrible

WS1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
Growing a few Ronde de Nice Zucchini plants in my garden. The plants came up and flowered looking great—— since flowering, they seem to have gone downhill.
First noticed that an excessive number of flowers appeared to be shriveling and falling of.
Some subsequent observations: some of the leaves have started yellowing, some leaves are being chewed up separate from yellow leaves, one plant appears to be rotting at the base of stem, few fruit produced but any have been small and sickly.

No problem is consistent across all ~5 plants.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

WS1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. Here are some pictures.

There have been several hot dry periods, interspersed with generally a few cloudy days of fairly heavy rain. I have watered moderately during the dry periods.

DSC_7725.jpg
DSC_7726.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7727.jpg
    DSC_7727.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_7728.jpg
    DSC_7728.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 346

WS1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Short update for anyone who sees this, knows a bit about it—

I pulled out the plant rotting at the base and cut it open. Looked as if it was being eaten from the inside maybe. A sort of orange powdery compost like substance in the inner stem. A couple black ants inside, and I also saw at least 1 very small white bug. The plants all seem to be tilting over and a number have holes in their leaves. Appears like a pest.

I had some kale growing next to these squash for a time that were pretty savagely attacked by white flies. I know they go after brassicas / I dont see any on the squash but Im noting.

Any advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Check for squash vine borer. If it is all you can do now is to get a big hyperdermic needle and shoot Bt into the stem about 6-8 inches from the ground. Those little holes in the leaves are nothing against a squash vine borer but to get rid of the pest causing it spray with a spinosad based product

Ask a Question