Reducing yaupon holly tree height

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
We have two very tall Yaupon Holly trees along the wall front of our home. The two trees are over twenty years old. I would like to know if these tress could be reduced in height by about 50%? Would the reduced height trees survive such a drastic cut then grow new canopies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Big Lou I cut my weeping yaupon more than in half this spring to keep the Berries out of one of my ponds
It's growing just fine , it's real hard to kill a holly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I have been away from forums for awhile, mostly due to health problems Look up the pruning technique called "hat-racking". Notice that this technique may not be legal in some cities with strict zoning regulations, It is however, recommended for pruning baCK HOLLY TREES.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
35 years ago I trimmed trees around Fortlauderdale ,
We would hat rack the big ficus trees, and shape them into giant doughnuts or a big umbrellas .
By the mid 80s the city decided they wanted the trees green all the time and banned the hat rack cut.
I still hat rack a old ash tree in my back yard every year to keep it small

Ask a Question