Woody
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good morning,

Thanks for the ad...

I have a quasi basement\garage vegetable garden. I started it the other day. I live in a raised home (because of flooding - and yes, I understand the potential future events) and my basement\garage is above ground. For the most part, it's fairly dry. I started it inside for a multitude of reasons which I don't have time to go through right now. The plants are all in 5-gallon buckets. I have a fan that circulates the air. I watered the plants the other day figuring I would water them every two days. When I went down to check them for watering again today, it seems as though they are still moist from the watering the other day. I did not saturate them the other day. The potting mix is a combination of 3/4 gravel on the bottom with holes drilled in the bottoms of the buckets, Then there's a mix of potting mix and manure fertilizer filled up to the top of the buckets. Plants are transplanted in the soil they came with. The plants look very good but I'm concerned with the frequency of the watering as I don't want to underwater, but I don't want to overwater because of root rot. Any insight would be appreciated. All my life I've been an outdoors gardener, so this is new territory for me.

Thanks,
Woody

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You are far more likely to overwater, & overwatering will do far more harm than underwatering.
Your plants will let you know when they need water. They'll start to droop. This will let you know they need watering & give you an indication of how often you need to water.
(If small plants droop after five days, water them every four.

WELCOME Woody.

byekryam

Woody
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are far more likely to overwater, & overwatering will do far more harm than underwatering.
Your plants will let you know when they need water. They'll start to droop. This will let you know they need watering & give you an indication of how often you need to water.
(If small plants droop after five days, water them every four.

WELCOME Woody.
Thanks, that's what I've been hearing from different sources. I've actually also on someone's suggestion gone out and bought a moisture meter and that's helped a great deal. I'm learning as I go along!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amelia2322

Latest Threads