Preserving Fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oooh, a strawberry version sounds like it would be delicious! I tried to look online but all I could find when typing in "strawberry cheese" was strawberry cheesecake!
Haha, a strawberry cheescake sounds pretty good too:D And now I'm hungry.
I wish I had fresh strawberries here!:)

Reaction score
Trellum, this quince cheese looks absolutely delicious!!!:love: I love sweet treats like this, especially if they're easy to make and don't contain too many ingredients.
Can it be done with strawberries?

Sure can, Claudine :) I have tried the strawberry one, we buy it from the store and it's very nice as well. I think the process is the same as with the quince cheese: fruit, sugar and water. People where i live make this often, I could ask one of them when I see them :) It's a tradition. Most Spaniards know what ''ate de membrillo'' is ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Sure can, Claudine :) I have tried the strawberry one, we buy it from the store and it's very nice as well. I think the process is the same as with the quince cheese: fruit, sugar and water. People where i live make this often, I could ask one of them when I see them :) It's a tradition. Most Spaniards know what ''ate de membrillo'' is ;)
It's a wonderful tradition:) I wish we had it here. There is nothing better than delicious fruit desserts that are easy to make:D Also, if it contains fruit, it can't be completely unhealthy:D

Reaction score
It's a wonderful tradition:) I wish we had it here. There is nothing better than delicious fruit desserts that are easy to make:D Also, if it contains fruit, it can't be completely unhealthy:D

Hi! I found a video that you might find interesting! It's the way how our ''quince cheese is mad'' for other fruits the process is the same:
Sadly it's in Spanish but this video is highly visual :) I think I could see a runaway peach during the washing process in the video xD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you so much for sharing this video!:D I don't speak Spanish, but this recipe sounds really simple and I'll definitely try it out. Do you think I can use frozen strawberries?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing this video!:D I don't speak Spanish, but this recipe sounds really simple and I'll definitely try it out. Do you think I can use frozen strawberries?

Yeah, I don't see why not. But of course fresh fruit offers a better result. Usually for each kilo of fruit you use 4 cups of sugar :) But you can use less fruit and just reduce the quantity of sugar accordingly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yeah, I don't see why not. But of course fresh fruit offers a better result. Usually for each kilo of fruit you use 4 cups of sugar :) But you can use less fruit and just reduce the quantity of sugar accordingly.
Thank you for the tip:) I wish I could use fresh strawberries, but it's the middle of winter, so I only have frozen ones. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing:)
What I miss the most about summer are fresh berries:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'll definitely let you know!:)
The strawberry pie looks super delicious, thank you for sharing this recipe. I'm not sure if I can buy shortbread cookies here though, I've never seen them in the local stores.

Reaction score
@claudine If you can't find shortbread cookies a fine replacement could also be ''digestive biscuits'', they look liike this:

digestive%20biscuits.jpg

Or these:

GalletasMar%C3%ADa.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Do they contain gluten? If yes, then I can't eat them:( I know that shortbread cookies contain only sugar, butter and oat flour, so they're safe for people with Celiac disease:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
that looks great! I'm going to have to try making it! i preserve much of my berries whole. i freeze them on sheets them dump them into ziplocks. no easier than that. then you can thaw and use as you like. fresh or for jam recepies. bigger fruits i slice then dry on wire racks outside in the sun. it increases the viamin c content drying this way for most fuits and doesn't use electricity. i also make compotes and sauces then freeze in ziplocks.

Ask a Question