Palm assassin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've lost 3 majesty palms and a parlor palm.
Other plants I've grown successfully; dracaena, yucca, peperomia, spider plant, croton, snake plant, boat lily (Moses in the cradle)
Anybody else have trouble with growing palms indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most palms like a higher humidity than is found in most homes and require a humidifier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Skip the Majesty Palm, they're an exercise in futility and frustration. Their preference is for swampy soil, low humidity, high temps and strong breezes. Where they are native is a swampy river valley in a desert near a coast with strong on-shore winds.
Most any other kind of commonly available palms are fairly easy. They prefer moderate to strong light, warm temps, moist soil, and medium to high humidity. That being said, many of them survive in lower light situations, especially Chamaedorea (Parlor Palms). Their biggest foe is spider mites.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would just stick with what works for you. Sounds like you have some nice plants you could propagate for fun. Its so much fun making new plants from plants that are easy to grow.

Ask a Question