Oak Leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most Composting says no Oak Leaves but this is all I have.

Been Shredding them and using them as mulch.

My Sister says Shred them and Compost them that is what she does.

If it's all I have go for it?

big rockpile

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't add them to the compost, put them in a dumpy bag or wire mesh enclosure and leave them for 2 years :)

DSC02381.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are different types of oak leaves. Some breakdown/compost much faster than others. Personally, I like
the red oaks since they are easy to mulch and compost quickly. I have never heard that you should not use oak leaves. Leaves are gold for gardeners.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told they contain tannic acid, doesn't stop me using them. Before the iron masters cut them down to make charcoal it was an oak forest round here, I can still see seven or eight mature trees from my windows, including the one at the end of my garden, so lots of oak leaves. They take a bit longer to break down than the hornbeam, but they serve me well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought this place because of the trees but losing them regular needing mostly clear for Satellite or Electric Lines but now because of the drought.

Got one tree needs to come down first they said $700 now it is $400 because it is Winter and the guy wants to keep his crew busy.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Nature has been composting oak leaves for millions of years. They compost just fine in my yard and I don't even bother shredding them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mind you with around 500 species of oak I bet there is some variation, I think mine is probably a Durmast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's true, that's why one can't make such a broad, sweeping statement about Oak leaves with no specifics on what problem(s) could arise.

Ask a Question