Nutmeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
The only time I had heard of a nutmeg tree was when I was learning my nursery rhymes - remember 'I had a little nut tree'?
Little did I know that one day I will own a nutmeg tree.
I have a tree now yielding year in and year out. There is good demand for the outer cover (mace) and the nut itself.

002.JPG

nutmegopen.jpg

redntmgs.jpg

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't remember that one im afraid.

Go steady with Nutmeg though, tastes nice but if you eat too much of it it can make you very ill

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Don't remember that one im afraid.

Go steady with Nutmeg though, tastes nice but if you eat too much of it it can make you very ill
Just a scraping to flavour a dish is what we use it for!!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one, apparently more than a quarter of one can make you hallucinate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It looks so weird and interesting! Are these red things soft or hard? They're kind of pretty:) The outer cover looks like a peach or a yellow plum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have never seen freshly picked nutmeg. I had no idea how it looks. I have always used nutmeg in many dishes but very sparingly. How does it eventually get to the powdered or granulated form in which we use it mostly from a shaker?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Freshly grated nutmeg is great in mashed potatoes. How wonderful to have a nutmeg tree. Sounds very luxurious.

Reaction score
Amazing! I use powedered nutmeg for my soups, I had never seen a fresh one before, thanks a lot for sharing those pics with us! I'm learning so much since you are here (y):)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It looks so weird and interesting! Are these red things soft or hard? They're kind of pretty:) The outer cover looks like a peach or a yellow plum.
The red thing is mace and very expensive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Amazing! I use powedered nutmeg for my soups, I had never seen a fresh one before, thanks a lot for sharing those pics with us! I'm learning so much since you are here (y):)
It was my dream to have as many fruits/condiments as possible. I am happy now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have never seen freshly picked nutmeg. I had no idea how it looks. I have always used nutmeg in many dishes but very sparingly. How does it eventually get to the powdered or granulated form in which we use it mostly from a shaker?
You just crack the nut and scrape it to get the powder. I have never used ready made powder as I have enough nutmegs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The red thing is mace and very expensive.
I understand. Do you sell it? It sounds like a great way to earn some money:) Your tree is really big, so I'm sure you get a lot of mace.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never seen fresh nutmeg before, and this is just fabulous to know what ground nutmeg looked like when it was fresh.

Reaction score
Freshly grated nutmeg is great in mashed potatoes. How wonderful to have a nutmeg tree. Sounds very luxurious.

Same goes with the cashew tree :O I'd love to have a cashew nuts tree! Sadly I think I was born in the wrong part of the world :p Too dry and hot!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morethanonebridge

Latest Threads