Milestone year for me.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
have no children for equal shares. so heck with it all when we spend our money. rather die owing than paid up.

Hope nobody dies owing you money! Money is not everything, but it does get you around. My philosophy is that I don't want people die owning ME money AND vice versa. Each to his/her own. Off to talk to me plants...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope nobody dies owing you money! Money is not everything, but it does get you around. My philosophy is that I don't want people die owning ME money AND vice versa. Each to his/her own. Off to talk to me plants...

I meant OWING me money. Off to talk to me plants again! They don't scheme or borrow from me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I see the individuals who cheer paying off a mortgage are not from USA. Again, its our tax structure which makes it advantageous to NOT pay it off in a hurry. I have read many articles about this to understand this myself. My husband is a financial geek also. Now, I have the burden of keeping on top of property taxes, school taxes, and a couple other tiny ones, where the mortgage company kept that all included in the monthly payments. Love it.

And, @alp , you know I was teasing about dying in dept. We have already done our wills, anything leftover is going to Seahorses. Yep, Seahorses. The preservation of Seahorses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Got the letter today from Social Security get my first check in September. But of course that check will count as income so just go against other income when April 2019 rolls around to submit our taxes. Hate doing taxes.
And just think, not that long ago (prior to 3/25/83) it was tax free. And then in 1993 they came for more. :mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@LIcenter , tax of social security income is also a state decision and each has different amounts, or none. see this link. https://www.fool.com/taxes/2017/03/20/37-states-that-dont-tax-social-security-benefits.aspx

So we get federal as well as state taxed on our social security . but in reality, it was income.
Oh boy, yup. That was not supposed to be how it worked. Rather than get into the politics of it all, us old people are shafted. T/G I live in NY state. No state taxes for us. I also have a state pension that is not state taxable in NY.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Paying school tax is a sore subject for me. As I do not have children. Can't see why I should pay that tax. And when they come knocking door to door selling stuff, can't help think, that I already pay school tax.

Checked on my state, PA. they collect no income tax on SS. so good for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Another milestone for me this month. I finally decided to retire. Put my notice in writing and handed it in. My last day of work is July 17, 2020. It took a while mentally as I do like my job to some degree, and will miss that part of my brain usage/stimuli. But its time. Puttering about in the garden, tossing stuff out in the house is my next chapter for a little bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Sent this letter out today to all my staff---

July 16, 2020

Dear all,

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that I will be leaving my position at Keystone Human Services. My departure will be on July 17. I will officially be retired, a new chapter indeed for me. After 46 years working in the human services field, 18 years with Impact/ Keystone it is time to move on to other adventures.

I would like to thank each of you for every experience shared, friendship made and the good times we had together. I would like all of you to know that working alongside you was very rewarding and I really appreciate all the help you have extended to me through tough times. I have witnessed dedication in many of you for our individuals and know that it will continue after my departure. Words are not enough to express my gratitude but I pray that one day our paths can cross again in future. I have many fond memories to cherish.

Regards,

Esther Knapicius

Ask a Question