Ladybugs...natures little enforcers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ladybugs really are wonderful little creatures. Sure, they are cute. But what they do for your plants indoors and out is really understated. They eat every little nasty pest that tortures and kills our pretty green things. Have problems with spider mites? Ladybugs will devour them up. Scale an issue? Let loose some Ladybugs and watch the nasty little scales disappear! Aphids a problem? An adult Ladybug will eat up to 50 aphids a day! I have been grabbing up the strays that appear on my back door window and placing them in my plants. It's interesting watching them march up and down your leaves, stopping occasionally to eat a little nasty you otherwise wouldn't have known was there.

These guys are on my Brush Cherry doing what Ladybugs do (y)

20151104_162732.jpg
20151104_162752.jpg

Reaction score
I've always wondered why people bought ladybugs for their gardens. I remember being a child and my mother buying them at the store. I loved to get them and watch them roam free. They are beautiful little creatures. I think I might go buy some and let them roam free in my garden. Not only will I enjoy seeing them, but it's nice to know they'll be killing the pests. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I didn't know that ladybugs are beneficial to the plants because they eat plant pests like the spider mites. We used to see ladybugs here, the yellow ones which inhabit some plants. Now they seem to be gone and there are spider mites in the mango tree. What about aphids, do ladybugs eat aphids? That white pest is one of our worst enemies, they reside in the fruits of our sugar apple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I knew that ladybugs eat aphids, but I had no idea they eat spider mites too! This is interesting:) I definitely should invite a few ladybugs to my apartment. There are billions of nasty spider mites here:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read about what ladybugs do for our garden, but strange thing is that I don't see them around during the summer much, but these past two weeks, I am seeing lots them flying around now. I think they like cooler weather or something.

Your ladybugs and flowers are beautiful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is great information. I thought ladybugs just added to the aesthetics of the garden. They eat aphids and spider mites? That's awesome;). I will never look at the small, beautiful, serene bugs the same way again. Growing up, one of the worst things ever was to kill a ladybug, even by accident. I'm glad you made this post. Thanks Java Guy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I thought those lady beetles were quite a nuisance, being every where. Good to know that is not the case. How can you tell if your plants are being effected by aphids or spider mites?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I've always thought that ladybugs were beautiful little things, didn't know they were so valuable in such a practical way. Thanks for the information Java Guy.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@alexiskilgannon: Make sure you prep your garden before you let the Ladybugs out or else they will all just fly away...yikes!!
@Corzhens: Ladybugs are voracious aphid eaters. An adult will eat 5000 aphids in it's lifetime!
@claudine: Spider mites is the reason I learned about Ladybugs. I was having problems with them last year and looked up ways to get rid of them. Ladybugs were one of the solutions.
@hashxc: If you have spider mites you will know it by the fine spider webs all over your plants. You can also look under the leaves and see the nasty little things. Aphids don't have the telltale sign that can be seen from a distance like spider mite webs. You will have to get up close and take a look. You will see colonies of nasty little bugs which are usually green but can be black, brown, or pinkish red.

Heres a link with great Ladybug information: http://www.gardeninsects.com/ladybugs.asp

APHIDS
178538450_0353be256e_m.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I always thought ladybugs were the cute bug of the gardening world, but honestly, I never knew all the benefits that they have for plant life! You learn something new every day, I guess! I wish there was a way to encourage them to be around more! I feel like it's been years since I've seen any!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
LOL too funny :ROFLMAO: I look at these pictures and wonder what these ladybugs are thinking. It's eating one bug while eyeballing a whole row of them lined up in front of it. It's like a Las Vegas buffet for these ladybugs!

Ask a Question