Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Kefir Grains from Australia.
Posted on February 14, 2018 by Durgan
Kefir grains have arrived from Australia. Here is a description of the grains. “I obtained my milk kefir-grains in late summer of 1978 from a local friend who has her own milking goats. The circumstances surrounding the fashion if which I was able to procure those milk kefir-grains, which I was on the lookout for about 3 years prior, is an interesting story in its own merit. The culture has been diligently cared for by yours truly over this time. Among the original stock is currently a mixture of now 12 other batches of milk kefir-grains which have been obtained from different sources around the world over the years. These are now mixed together as a single batch, to ensure best quality culture from all batches mixed together as one. This is my personal observation with much research on my part.They are now available at a premium here. http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#order

Here is the first fermentation of the Australian grains.
To get the best starter grains available, grains were ordered from Australia to start the processing of kefir. This is the result of the first ferment of about 40 hour to active the grains. Everything went perfectly.
http://durgan.org/2018/February 2018/14 February 2018 Australian Kefir Grains/HTML/14 February 2018 Australian Kefir Grains

14%20febuary%202018%20australian%20kefir%20grains%20013_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know much about kefir grains, do you ingest them or are they just there to make your own kefir?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I don't know much about kefir grains, do you ingest them or are they just there to make your own kefir?

The grains are mostly used for starter seed, but they can and are ingested. Usually there are not many when a batch is finished. I take a few from each batch and store them in the refrigerator in milk, intending to dry for long term starter. Apparently they last forever dried, and placed in a sealed container, covered with powdered milk.

The grains are rubbery and most pleasant, sort or like cottage cheese. Good for you, who knows? It may be all hype, like much food and diet information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah ok that's interesting to know, I had no idea they could be dried!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The dried grains are hydrated and are exactly like fresh grains. Dried is a great way to ship grains without damage.

Ask a Question