Is this spotted Laurel dying or is it new growth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
There are black bits on my spotted Laurel on the new shoots in not sure if they're supposed to look like that at first or not? They feel glossy and firm like new growth, it's in a north facing position

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_110907.jpg
    IMG_20200514_110907.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20200514_110856.jpg
    IMG_20200514_110856.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 119
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are black bits on my spotted Laurel on the new shoots in not sure if they're supposed to look like that at first or not? They feel glossy and firm like new growth, it's in a north facing position
Your plant is in a weakened condition due to advanced chlorosis. I see insects or insect damage and a possible area of a fungal problem. The plant needs feeding more than anything else but the black stuff on the leaves is either sooty mold, insects or insect feces and should be addressed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Your plant is in a weakened condition due to advanced chlorosis. I see insects or insect damage and a possible area of a fungal problem. The plant needs feeding more than anything else but the black stuff on the leaves is either sooty mold, insects or insect feces and should be addressed.

Oh ok I'll feed it now and spray it with bug clear, I have epsom salts would that help with chlorosis too? Should I move it to a west facing position?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh ok I'll feed it now and spray it with bug clear, I have epsom salts would that help with chlorosis too? Should I move it to a west facing position?
Laurels are understory plants that like a semi-shaded area. Facing west might be too much for it. What it needs is to be fed with a balanced fertilizer with an extra dose of nitrogen such as bloodmeal. Epsom salts might be of a minor benefit in this case so yes, give it some.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is an Aucuba japonica and if you put them outside after being indoors, they will drop every leaf it has after turning yellow. Your burning the leaves leaving it outdoors in the sun. The Suns direct contact on the leaves will turn them yellow. If you bought that plant from a nursery, and its less than 6 months old, there's no need to fertilize, because they add time-release fertilizer at the greenhouse.

Ask a Question