Is Anyone Else Having A Garden-Gone-Goofy Year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I love the idea of fuel cells but they always seem to be "10 years out" for actual use.

Guess that's better than nuclear fusion which has been "30 years away" for the last 60+ years.

And you guys sent me down a rabbit hole looking at PEM fuel cells - small demo kits around $130.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nuclear options are sold as green, but they tend to ignore the problem of waste, or assume someone will have found a solution. As any gardener knows; ignoring things and making assumptions ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
https://emirates-team-new-zealand.a...HASE-BOAT-IN-FITOUT-PREPARING-FOR-LAUNCH.html

Where are the carmakers? Somehow I think this electric car craze pushed by politicians is hindering rather than helping. Here we have boats, drones, small trucks and submarines powered by hydrogen. No more reliance on China for batteries which replacement costs about half the price of a new vehicle. And do we hear about any of this on the news? Perhaps I am just watching the wrong tv channels. Maybe the wizards of smarts think that emissions from hydrogen power will raise the ocean levels because there must be a reason why we never hear about this technology.

p.s. I am waiting for a self propelled radio controlled hydrogen powered garden tiller shovel rake that waters plants when running.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The article Dirt Mechanic posted a link to is about an underwater volcano that blasted water vapour into the stratosphere. Apparently it has the opposite effect to normal volcanic pollution as it is expected to warm the earth up. I don't know whether something similar might apply if we had large numbers of hydrogen powered vehicles pumping out water. On the other hand 'What goes up must come down', so why doesn't it come down on my garden? It is dust dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How much fossil fuel energy is used & how much emissions are produced making hydrogen for the cars?
Maybe it's an efficient technology? Hopefully!

While doing a job at an auto company, someone was demonstrating a paint that is a solar panel to re-charge the car. They hope to paint the whole car's body with it. The demo looked just like regular, painted plastic body panels. Cool, huh? (Except Again- How much energy & pollution to make...)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How much energy & how much emissions are produced making hydrogen for the cars?
Maybe it's an efficient technology?

While doing a job at an auto company, someone was demonstrating a paint that is a solar panel to re-charge the car. They hope to make the whole car's body out of it. It looked just like regular, painted plastic body panels. Cool, huh? (Except Again- How much energy & pollution to make...)
Don't know. Nobody talks about hydrogen. The only pollution would come from making the car body, the fuel cell and making the hydrogen into fuel. The only pollution from hydrogen is pure water. There wouldn't be a massive electrical grid change either. I have heard about this coating that acts as a battery charger but what is it made out of? Oil? I just wished the media would let us know as much about hydrogen as it does pushing electric cars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I remember reading that the main way to make hydrogen gas was using methane (nat-gas) as the feed stock. That was from the BBC Inside Science podcast and wikipedia has that in the first sentence of the Hydrogen Production page.

PEM (Proton Exchange Membrane) fuel cells are bi-directional. Input hydrogen and Oxygen and you get water and electricity, input water and electricity and you get hydrogen and water. If that type of fuel cell can be scaled up it can be used for energy storage and high density transfer.

Sci-Tech-Daily just dropped an article about research in using Iron as a catalyst in a fuel cell rather than Platinum which could greatly drop that cost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
From Chuck: "I have heard about this coating that acts as a battery charger but what is it made out of? Oil?"

Why do we have to make everything out of oil? That's insane.

As a kid, plastic was rare. Sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper & put in paper bags- with an apple instead of a plastic wrapped treat bar. I have to guess the wax on the paper wasn't oil based either.
Covering leftovers? Parchment paper or, at worst, aluminum foil. My first car sure wasn't a plastic factory on wheels either. Even athletic shoes & car seating have plastic coating on the leather. (With a few exceptions, such as Rolls Royce)

Food came in glass, tin or steel containers. Water wasn't in plastic bottles. Toys were steel. House paint was linseed oil based, not petroleum oil latex. Styrofoam? Don't remember seeing it. but it's everywhere now. I used to do work for a couple of movie studios. It was insane how tractor trailer after tractor trailer delivered styrofoam. It all ended up in landfills. I also do work for auto companies. They use tons of it for clay modeling substrates. I was told that Ford & Toyota recycle what they can of it. Don't know about the others.

I get sad every week when I look at all the plastic in the recycle bin- and we're light consumers. Add what "can't" be recycled, such as PVC and steam-in-bag vegetables. It's really sad. Run out of space for landfills & watch how fast we learn to recycle what "can't" be recycled. It works. Ask Japan.

My generation is the undisputed king of greed-based planet wreckers. My parents' generation was mostly inadvertent planet wreckers. For the most part, they didn't know better.
Their parents' generation were super duper industrial revolution polluters. They didn't know better.
Hopefully the 20-somethings will put greed aside in favor of saving their earth.

A "Plastic Ain't So Great" Story-
I remember the first time my mother bought something from the market in a plastic jar. It was touted as "unbreakable".
Being a dopey kid, I tested it. It wasn't unbreakable. I expected my mother to go "full speed Italian mother" on me, but she laughed her head off. (Phew!)
I'll bet if that jar was of soy plastic it wouldn't have broken & probably would have decomposed in the landfill by now. But what's the earth-cost of growing soy & making it into plastic using our current greedy ways? Only Dow & Monsanto know.

Sorry to complain so much. Our planet is a gift that I'd like to pass down in good condition to the future people & animals when I'm done with the tiny piece I'm borrowing.

Extracting Hydrogen...
From Mr_Yan: "I remember reading that the main way to make hydrogen gas was using methane (nat-gas) as the feed stock."
This makes me wonder if electric extraction could be done in an environment friendly (and cost effective) way.

Fun Hydrogen-From-Water Experiment-
I remember, as a kid, my father took a lantern battery and connected a wire from the positive pole to a carbon rod from the carbon arc street light out front, which he sharpened to look like a crayon. He connected the negative to another rod. These were put, points up, upright in a tall jar filled with enough water to cover the rods. The rods were an inch or so apart.
He suspended inverted glass jars over the rods, slightly above the water. They captured the gas from the bubbles that formed around the rods & rose to the surface.

After some time, he took one jar and, holding it still upside down, took it outside, flipped it upright and immediately held a lit a match over it. A large, blue flame came out & burned for several seconds. -Oxygen-
When putting a match over the second jar, a huge explosion occurred. Huge! -Hydrogen-

In his born-and-raised German scientist way, my father gave me a very good explanation of from what water was made of & how the oxygen (jar one) and hydrogen (jar two) were extracted from the water. Needless to say, my very Italian mother was not at home for this "Fun With Dad" project & I was sworn to secrecy.

Ask a Question