Invader or Guest?

Reaction score
I've found this new plant in my garden, not sure what it is. Any ideas? Thank.

Attachments

• 20160904_123539.jpg
    20160904_123539.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 20160904_123541 (1).jpg
    20160904_123541 (1).jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 215
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I really have no way of telling from just that, but I hope that it is just a guest and not an invader. That said, though, I am not sure I have ever had just a guest to my garden that was at all welcome, so I would have to guess you have an invader on your hands. I am also not very familiar with those wither though, but best of luck to you. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where in the US is this plant? That would be extremely helpful information. ;)

Can't quite place it but it looks like something I recognize. Do you like it? Leave it be. Not like it? Eliminate it. Easy. :)

There are many native and wild plants around me that I can dig up from the side of a road or field for free, or pay $20 for at a garden center.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Knapweed of some sort, maybe? (in which case, probably unwelcome.)

I'm really not sure though. However a wrong response usually brings out the more knowledgeable plant identifiers. :D
Whatever it is it's afflicted by leaf miners. Those squiggly lines on the lower leaves. You sorta don't want those in your garden. Neem oil works well to kill those off.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Seems like it's a nice looking plant, I wouldn't cut it down if I were you. If it's not annoying you and your other plants then you definitely should leave it right there where it is, it looks beautiful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This is Velvetleaf Mallow (Abutilon theophrasti), a cosmopolitan adventive shrub in the Mallow family (Malvaceae), originally native to Central Asia and China. Other common names include Chinese Jute and Pie-marker. The latter name is a reference the distinctly shaped schizocarpic fruit, which could conceivably be used to make a decorative pattern in soft pastry dough.

Ask a Question