I bought a lemon tree. Are those tiny lemons??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Just bought a lemon tree. I'm really happy for this purchase. I see tiny fruit-like things all over the tree. Are those fruits?

Here's the tree. :)

And here are the balls of fruit(?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just bought a lemon tree. I'm really happy for this purchase. I see tiny fruit-like things all over the tree. Are those fruits?

Here's the tree. :)

And here are the balls of fruit(?)

Those aren't fruits.................yet. They are future blooms which will turn into fruits of which most or all will self abort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Because the tree will produce WAAAAY more fruit than it can support

Ah. I see.

I have one question. The container I bought the tree in says I can leave the tree in the pot. I bought a much bigger container just in case. The pot in came with is about a couple of gallons. Will I eventually need to transplant it?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Why will they self abort???
It's just survival of the fittest. In your second photo, I can count 15+ buds. That little tree is not big enough to support (or feed) that many lemons yet. It's just nature taking care of nature. It produces more flowers than it needs in case some of them don't get pollinated. If they do all get pollinated, it will drop the ones that are weaker.

From this website:
http://simple-green-frugal-co-op.blogspot.com/2009/11/grow-your-own-citrus-meyer-lemons.html

I found this:
It is normal for a tree to shed most lemons within a cluster in order to focus its energy on the largest few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah. I see.

I have one question. The container I bought the tree in says I can leave the tree in the pot. I bought a much bigger container just in case. The pot in came with is about a couple of gallons. Will I eventually need to transplant it?
Eventually yes, but not for at least a year. Let the tree get firmly established in its new environment before transplanting. Do not over fertilize citrus as they need very little. Watch out for scale insects, ants and whitefly. And DO NOT OVER WATER. Plant a tomato or something in your new pot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ok. Thank you so much! I won't overwater. I became really good at watering now. I always check my whole finger to see dampness. If not damp, I water with drip irrigation until it is saturated. I haven't had to water once because of the rain but it's ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok. Thank you so much! I won't overwater. I became really good at watering now. I always check my whole finger to see dampness. If not damp, I water with drip irrigation until it is saturated. I haven't had to water once because of the rain but it's ok.
In about 2 years you will have more lemons than you can shake a stick at.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Last question. If some lemons do end up growing, can I keep them on, or is it best to remove them to let the tree establish itself?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I have to agree with @Chuck that those flower buds will not materialize into fruits. One uncle told us that they plant citrus trees which we call calamansi, a native lemon here. On the first "budding" of the plant, they would pick the buds to remove the chance of bearing flowers. That removal would make the tree grow faster. But on the second occasion that buds would appear, they would let them develop into flowers.

However in your case, with some luck, your tree can bear a fruit or 2 for starters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since all your questions have been answered, I just want to say that your lemon tree looks very healthy. I would someday like to have one too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't have anything to add, I came to see your picture and learn from the others. I've been thinking about getting a lemon tree, but always decide against it....anyways good luck with your tree.

Ask a Question