Hymenacallis ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B472F113-8EAD-4CAC-B2D7-DAB0F51F1ECD.jpeg
Hi , around 5 months ago I ordered half dozen Hymenocallis bulbs .. they were very large bulbs and the instructions said to plant them very shallow, which I did .. so anyway in the last few weeks they have finally flowered and although very pretty are nothing like what I was expecting ..
Maybe you guys could help with indentification as I have no idea .. I took a photo this morning ..
Ps , I was expecting a white bloom not pink .. thanks for helping .. Micky

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Where did you order these from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I can’t remember, it was some months ago off the internet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the lovely nerine!
Thanks so much , your exactly right.. I must plant some more next year ..
do you know if I leave the bulbs in the ground, if they will re- grow next year or is it best to buy new stock ..thanks .. Micky

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Haha! You're asking the wrong person. I have had a lot of grief with nerine:cry:.

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/why-dont-my-nerines-flower.12699/

Apparently, it should be planted with half the bulb exposed in the hottest area of the garden. I.e. somewhere irises are very happy as their rhizomes also need to be baked. As i live in Essex, I can leave a lot of bulbs or tubers in the ground. Dahlias tubers can be left in my garden, and they will come up again. I hope @Owdboggy or @Daren can give you some proper advice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
They should survive most British winters, unless you live somewhere particularly cold. They do need to be in a very sunny spot in well drained soil though. They do not survive outside here for us, even in our hottest position. But they did and spread well in my parents garden in Somerset, near to the sea.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A23B6F8D-001F-44DF-8E7F-6E90E1E8CD5D.jpeg
They should survive most British winters, unless you live somewhere particularly cold. They do need to be in a very sunny spot in well drained soil though. They do not survive outside here for us, even in our hottest position. But they did and spread well in my parents garden in Somerset, near to the sea.
Thanks for the information.. I feel I’ve been lucky as it’s the very first time I’ve grown them and they have all flowered .. definitely going to plant a lot more for next year as they are so pretty and worth waiting for .. I have a part of the garden that gets sun most of the day..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You know you can buy them at about £1.49 for 3 bulbs in Home Bargains and similar prices at Wilko. I also bought Hymenocallis × festalis Or ismene Festalis from B&Q and Home Bargains, all for very reasonable prices.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know you can buy them at about £1.49 for 3 bulbs in Home Bargains and similar prices at Wilko. I also bought Hymenocallis × festalis Or ismene Festalis from B&Q and Home Bargains, all for very reasonable prices.
Never seen these in the stores , I find it so easy to just order on the Internet.. thanks for the information .. a.m. looking out to plant different types next year instead of the same old stuff

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool Nerine Micky .......I grow them in my garden. Best planted shallow with bulb just popping out of soil a little like flag iris tubers as they seen to like to get the sun on them. I am trying to master Hymenacallis in the garden but have yet to achieve flowers, They, like nerines are a tricky plant to get to perform but both are superb when they do:) Enjoy your Nerine's Micky(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Micky I am surprised to see FERN growing next to your narine. Just tell you how much I know.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Alp , I have several ferns around the Nerines, they seem quite happy together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D35291D6-685C-4871-9EC8-62129355CCF4.jpeg
Cool Nerine Micky .......I grow them in my garden. Best planted shallow with bulb just popping out of soil a little like flag iris tubers as they seen to like to get the sun on them. I am trying to master Hymenacallis in the garden but have yet to achieve flowers, They, like nerines are a tricky plant to get to perform but both are superb when they do:) Enjoy your Nerine's Micky(y)
Thanks Daren.. I will certainly be growing Nerines next year, but will plant them a lot closer to each other for more impact, also will plant some Hymenocallis.. thing is with Nerines, they bloom so late in the year ..shame really as they would be magnificent through the summer months

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amelia2322

Latest Threads