Help me fill-in this spot in my front yard!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure what to plant in order to fill-in this space.

Would like to have at least 1 or 2 large trees to provide shade for that bedroom window, then smaller plants in front (along with mulch, rock, etc to make it look nice).

I’m not opposed to removing some of the existing plants and starting from scratch. Not opposed to adding large rocks or other fillers that would look good and require little maintenance either. Basically, I’m open to any and all suggestions!

Zone 9B/10A - full sun facing east

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpeg
    IMG_1277.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1278.jpeg
    IMG_1278.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just to get the conversation rolling, and knowing that it seems to be a love-hate thing: Have you considered bamboo? I love how it looks and only keep them in containers (mostly 15 gallon) so they don't get out of control (mine get about 7'-10' tall, and you can always trim them). Also like how easy it is to split and multiply them- not kidding, I have about 30 now that all came from 3 plants that someone gave me. Love how they look with bougainvillea for a splash of color.

IMG_6271.jpg

IMG_6286.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
That does look good, and thank you for the pictures. We currently have some bamboo in the backyard, and I love bamboo (other than the mess lol). That might even be an option for the corner of the house. Was looking for something tall (ie: magnolia) but hadn’t thought about bamboo!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hah yeah there's a bit of mess with bamboo. Magnolia sounds great. My neighbor has a beautiful birch tree. What kind of plant is that with the reddish leaves? I love it. Bet it would look cool at night with some up-lighting.

Ask a Question