Hello Green Growy Lovers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I am a member of the sister pond forum site and have learned a lot. This spring I did a potted flower garden against my fence line. I am as black-thumbed as they come but learning a lot. Looking forward to keeping my flowers alive and well.
I live in South MS and am wondering what to do with all of my potted flowers for the winter? Do I bring them in, cover them? I have perennials. I'm in zone 8b if that helps.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Usually covering them does the trick. Last winter I only covered my calla lily, it was really cold, but it did just fine. Plus your flowers might not like it that much inside, plus bringing them all in sounds like such a huge hassle! Just cover them well with some plastic. They should be fine. Btw, my neighbors do the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Trellum. I appreciate it. I have a sun room so I might bring in the smaller ones but I do have 6 large flower pots that are heavy suckers so covering them is much easier. Do you just cover them during a frost?

Reaction score
I usually cover plants at night when the temps drop below 40's and leave them covered until it warms up in the morning. A lot of it depends on what type of plant it is such as a tender or regular perennial.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmm I'm not sure what a tender is. I have a list I can post on Monday. I think they are all regular perennials and some annuals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Hello, tbendl!

Welcome to gardening forums!
0kUAxk0.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Mariobrothersleeve and splinx for the welcome.
Well dang it if I didn't leave the list at home. I know I have Impatiens, Lantana, Marigold, Lavender, Gerbera Daisy's and I just bought 2 large Cordyline's. They are all in pots. I can drag them all into the sunniest area of the yard and cover them if that would be the best thing. Some of them, like the Cordyline I will bring into the sunroom just to help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. Well I finally brought my list of flowers in.
I have Lavender, Lantana, Lobelia, Angelart Nemesia, Dianthus, Verbena, Red Sister Cordyline and Salvia. They are all in pots. Should I move them inside or move them to the area of the yard that gets the most sun for the winter? I have a small sun room I can put some of them in if needed.
I also don't know if I should cut back on watering them every day.
Thanks everyone for any help. I'd really like to make sure these little guys survive the winter.

Ask a Question