Hello from mid-Michigan!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the pictures. Haha! The bucket on his head made me laugh.:) He's a Rottweiller of course and I hadn't noticed he still had his tail. It was made illegal in the UK a few years ago to dock (remove) dogs tails but not here on the island.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep...the guy I bought him from partners with Rottweiler people in Czechoslovakia and most of his puppies go back to Europe so he does not dock tails.
I didn't know the Isle of Man was exempt, interesting.
He is a very goofy dog!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It was made illegal in the UK a few years ago to dock (remove) dogs tails
Good, I hate it when I see people do that to dogs ears and tails. No good reason for it that I can see.
And Beth I love the bucket head!! Haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know the Isle of Man was exempt, interesting.
He is a very goofy dog!

It's not exactly exempt but we have our own government, laws and regulations. The island is not part of the United Kingdom although it is owned by the British Crown and is addressed as British Isles not UK. :)

Good, I hate it when I see people do that to dogs ears and tails. No good reason for it that I can see.

I copied this from Wikipedia.

Historically, tail docking was thought to prevent rabies, strengthen the back, increase the animal's speed, and prevent injuries when ratting, fighting, and baiting.[2] In early Georgian times[clarification needed] in the United Kingdom a tax was levied upon working dogs with tails so many types of dogs were docked to avoid this tax.[2] The tax was repealed in 1796 but that did not stop the practice from persisting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All true, Sheal; also docking was thought to prevent worms.
That said (can't resist) there are some valid reasons for docking and cropping...this is a hugely contentious issue amongst dog people!
That dog is all natural. :) Haven't even neutered him. (Another hugely contentious issue amongst dog people.)
Sorry, don't mean to hijack my own thread. I'm a total dog geek and can go on and on! We can stop talking about it here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL I haven't neutered mine either but he is either in the house, in the backyard or on a leash with me. And I agree, I could do the same thing. Love all my furry creatures, including the hubby, the dog, and the cat. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Same here! I have two other dogs and they are both speutered. ;) Just haven't seen a reason to geld the Rottie, maybe I will, maybe I won't.

I and a neighbor also TNR (trap-neuter-release) stray and feral cats around here. Which is what got me started on straw bale gardening for vegetables a couple of years ago - I don't mind so much if the cats use the perennial beds as a litter box but I'm not keen on them pooping in my vegetables!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I planted asparagus over a year ago and was considering moving it to a sunnier spot. Good idea or too risky?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I planted asparagus over a year ago and was considering moving it to a sunnier spot. Good idea or too risky?

@DeborahJane, this is my first asparagus bed so your question made me curious. Not recommended to move crowns in general, but this handy site has instructions on how to do so. How much sun does yours get now? Mine get about six hours of sun (when we have a sunny day, that is) per day at most and seem to be doing just fine.

Ask a Question