Hello from Chicago!

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
New here! I just purchased my first home and we have run into all sorts of crazy things we are now trying to overcome now that it is getting nice out and the snow is gone. We want to use our yard and there are a few issues that I am hoping you can all help me out with in the future! I have never been much for gardening and I am hoping that will now change that I have a place to put a garden! :)

So I look forward to seeing all of you around and to all of the ideas and advice I can hopefully gain from the vast amount of knowledge here!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum @Ino!

Are you going to be growing flowers or vegetables? If you're going to be doing flower gardening, try sticking with native species! There are all sorts of great native plants that grow here in the Midwest! (y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)A warm welcome to you @Ino. Try growing a few things from seed and you will be an avid gardener before you realize you are one;). This is a great place to share information with other gardeners and also a great place to share your experiences which you will have quite a lot of starting a new garden. The newbie gardeners and the seasoned gardeners are always mixing it up on the forums. I'll look forward to hearing more from you.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome Ino.

I'm from Kankakee.

Good luck finding organic fertilizer in Chicagoland, it's getting tougher this year, was up in the Chicago suburbs to visit family, near impossible to find. Sad situation. We had to order products online and have it shipped in.

:confused:

Last edited:

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you all for your welcome! JB, I think that would be a lovely idea in regards to the native plants! Now I just have to learn what they are! haha.. But yes, we do plan on making a garden sometime soon and growing veggies such as cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, peppers, etc.

Welcome to the forum @Ino!

Are you going to be growing flowers or vegetables? If you're going to be doing flower gardening, try sticking with native species! There are all sorts of great native plants that grow here in the Midwest! (y)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB, I think that would be a lovely idea in regards to the native plants! Now I just have to learn what they are! haha..

I mention this website quite often, and for good reason: Prairie Moon Nursery has a huge list of plants and they're all native, so whether you want to buy from them or not, their site is probably the best resource of learning about what kinds of native plants there are! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Welcome, I hope we can share a lot of tips and tricks!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :) I think it's fascinating you plan to grow all those edibles, when I was 16 I grew cucumbers on my own. It was one of those experiences that really motivated to go on growing things. Anyways, I hope you have a lot fun and enjoy your stay here :)

Ask a Question