Growing melons and winter squash vertically, netting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grow cucumbers all the time up a trellis but they hang there no problem. Never have I grown bigger fruit up a trellis (cattle panel) so I need something to support the fruit. Any recommendations on a netting or any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never grown them, but have seen pictures of them hanging up in ladies tights - good use for all those with ladders in them :giggle: (maybe you say pantyhose there)???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never grown them, but have seen pictures of them hanging up in ladies tights - good use for all those with ladders in them :giggle: (maybe you say pantyhose there)???
Yes, pantyhose. You can buy the leggings (leg portion) but I'm not sure how well they would hold up. Hoping someone had actually used them and knew.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I've done ice-box size water melon, acorn squash, tromboncino squash, and butternut squash on trellis. The water melon was supported with a mesh sling I made out of cord-age. The three squashes needed minimal support because the vine connection is much stronger than melon. As I saw each growing I was able to tie a small loop around the trellis and the stem - using the stem as a T off of the vine. With the tougher squash all you need to do is keep the fruit from pulling down the vine, not keep the fruit from ripping off of the vine.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Never seemed to be a practical approach to me. I don't have that much pantyhose o_O and grow a lot of melons in with my corn.

Hope it works out for you.

watermelon 10.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use deer fence netting for them
Didn't think of that stuff. Maybe bird netting too?

With the tougher squash all you need to do is keep the fruit from pulling down the vine, not keep the fruit from ripping off of the vine.
That's interesting and good to know.

The water melon was supported with a mesh sling I made out of cord-age.
I've though about that but my weaving skills are not up to par.

Never seemed to be a practical approach to me. I don't have that much pantyhose o_O and grow a lot of melons in with my corn.

Hope it works out for you.
I can have a barren patch of soil and then plant a vining crop and the weeds show up then.

Also I have some kind of disease in my soil that doesn't allow me to do well with melons. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to bother any type of winter squash or cucumber.

Ask a Question