Galls? Nodules on Birch Leaves with Aphids Present

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a large (20 ft) river birch planted in our yard last fall. This spring it has shown poor leaf development, with much fewer leaves than I expected.

The other day I discovered green flying aphids on some red osier dogwoods in another part of the yard. When I checked lower leaves on the birch I noticed some pale nodules on the underside of some leaves.

From the reading I’ve done I believe these might be leaf galls from aphid damage. I’ve attached pics of these nodules, as well as a pic of one of the green bugs, which I suspect is an aphid.

Could anyone confirm my assessment (or tell me what I’m dealing with), and let me know how to remedy this situation? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2966.jpeg
    IMG_2966.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2972.jpeg
    IMG_2972.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, that's an aphid and no, those round things aren't galls, they are aphid eggs. The aphids are easy to kill. On a tree one way would be to spray the entire tree with an insecticidal soap but you would have to do it at least 3 or 4 times because soaps don't kill the eggs very well. Or, you can use fresh Neem Oil and it kills both the insects and the eggs. But, you should spray the Neem 2 times about a week apart to make sure you killed them all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great -thank you. I will pick up some neem oil today. Since the tree is over 20 ft tall it won’t be possible for me to spray more than the lower branches. My neighbor suggested releasing ladybugs from the local garden center at the base of tree (and other affected plants) in the evening. Does this sound like a good idea?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great -thank you. I will pick up some neem oil today. Since the tree is over 20 ft tall it won’t be possible for me to spray more than the lower branches. My neighbor suggested releasing ladybugs from the local garden center at the base of tree (and other affected plants) in the evening. Does this sound like a good idea?
Releasing lady bugs would be a great idea if they only stayed where you released them, but they don't. Why not get a hose end sprayer and set it on 2 oz per gallon? It will easily reach 20 feet with basic water pressure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I picked up some concentrated neem oil and an Ortho hose end sprayer. Will spray down the birch tree tonight or tomorrow. As I was walking around the yard, I noticed that aphids were jumping around in the grass, and just about every shrub I have, when I would shake them, aphids would fly out. So I have a big problem... I will try and spray everything I have, but I'm wondering if there might be some other options. A neighbor told me that orchards use these traps that attract the aphids, they go in and can't get out and then you just dispose of them. I need to look around and see if I can find those. Has anyone here used them with success?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I picked up some concentrated neem oil and an Ortho hose end sprayer. Will spray down the birch tree tonight or tomorrow. As I was walking around the yard, I noticed that aphids were jumping around in the grass, and just about every shrub I have, when I would shake them, aphids would fly out. So I have a big problem... I will try and spray everything I have, but I'm wondering if there might be some other options. A neighbor told me that orchards use these traps that attract the aphids, they go in and can't get out and then you just dispose of them. I need to look around and see if I can find those. Has anyone here used them with success?
Aphids are extremely poor fliers, they basically drift with the wind, nor do they jump. I don't know what you are seeing but it isn't aphids. Neem should kill whatever it is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmmm. They aren't flying far... I'll see if I can do a little googling to find out what these things are. I will probably pick up some of those sticky traps too, and see what sticks to them...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just snapped a few pics. I think I may have aphids AND something else. Here are a few pics of a few different bugs that I just took. I think the third pic (the bug on a leaf) is an aphid. The one in the last two pics (on blades of grass) is what I think might be a leaf hopper.

Attachments

• IMG_2984.jpeg
    IMG_2984.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2982.jpeg
    IMG_2982.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2980.jpeg
    IMG_2980.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2979.jpeg
    IMG_2979.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2974.jpeg
    IMG_2974.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just snapped a few pics. I think I may have aphids AND something else. Here are a few pics of a few different bugs that I just took. I think the third pic (the bug on a leaf) is an aphid. The one in the last two pics (on blades of grass) is what I think might be a leaf hopper.
You are correct. Aphids and leafhopper nymphs and adults. You may have to spray more than twice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK. Will spray tomorrow evening when I get home. Should I be spraying the grass too? I'm going to go through a lot of neem oil... Do you think the sticky yellow traps are worth trying or is that just a waste of time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK. Will spray tomorrow evening when I get home. Should I be spraying the grass too? I'm going to go through a lot of neem oil... Do you think the sticky yellow traps are worth trying or is that just a waste of time?
Yes, spray everything. If the insects are as widespread as you say, I'd say they are a waste of time. They are good for individual plants but not for an entire landscape.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got it. I'll plan to spray everything tonight. And I'll do another pass in a week and perhaps one or two more. You think 4 applications at one week intervals? Or more frequently? I really appreciate your guidance.

Ask a Question