Fatally Flawed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Same reason they won't acknowledge we're at the lowest atmospheric CO2 ever, they're scared of causing panic and a massive drop in real estate prices if they admitted there is a chance that Canada, top half of the USA and Northern Europe could be covered in ice again.

Wonder if Mr Trump's wall will come back to bite him when everyone asks if they can move to Mexico? :whistle:
I doubt if The Wall will make any difference but I imagine Mexico's machine guns will.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Not just the developed world, but the entire world, hydrocarbons are too valuable to simply burn.
CO2 is toxic hence its use in stunning animals, pigs in particular, pre slaughter.

Burning hydrocarbons is not the only source of heat, this comes down to Government policy on insulation, building standards, cost of alternatives to gas heating etc etc.
If you're not going to burn hydrocarbons, where is their value?
CO2 concentrations during pre-slaughter anaesthesia reach 75%, atmospheric levels are approx. 1/200th of that level at 0.04%.
Oxygen in such concentrations would be far more dangerous.
If we burnt all the hydrocarbons in the World we would still have only a tiny fraction of that level.
I entirely agree that we should use them efficiently.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Whether there is global warming or global cyclical ice age or warming, we should look after our environment, lobbying shops to stop overpackaging and encourage recycling. A tour round our tips will reveal how many fridges there are dumped on top of each other .. We really should do out bit such as good insulation, building practices, recycling of car part, fridge and unwanted computers and harnessing natural energy such as solar panels. We want our children to breathe in good quality air, eat healthy foods and have a secure and happy place to live in .. At least, this is what I want ..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Whether there is global warming or global cyclical ice age or warming, we should look after our environment, lobbying shops to stop overpackaging and encourage recycling. A tour round our tips will reveal how many fridges there are dumped on top of each other .. We really should do out bit such as good insulation, building practices, recycling of car part, fridge and unwanted computers and harnessing natural energy such as solar panels. We want our children to breathe in good quality air, eat healthy foods and have a secure and happy place to live in .. At least, this is what I want ..
Are you aware of the environmental degradation caused by the manufacture of wind turbines & solar panels?
Shifting the pollution to Australia (raw materials/mining) or China (production then shipping) does not help the planet.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Are you aware of the environmental degradation caused by the manufacture of wind turbines & solar panels?
Shifting the pollution to Australia (raw materials/mining) or China (production then shipping) does not help the planet.

What other solutions can you suggest please? We need energy for cooking, heating, transport .. Ah, my other car is a magic carpet!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hybrid cars are excellent, using fuel on faster roads and batteries in urban driving, to keep localised pollutants like NO2 away from children.
Natural gas is the cheapest, most efficient, cleanest way to generate electricity; use it 'til it's done.
Coal scrubbers can eliminate much of the pollution caused by coal generation, invest in r&d in this area.
Fracking will give us clean hydrocarbon power for centuries.
Being taught how to eliminate wasteful usage saves money, as do aforementioned insulation, efficient. lean burn, systems, etc.
Note I don't count CO2 as pollution, because it isn't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hybrid cars are excellent, using fuel on faster roads and batteries in urban driving, to keep localised pollutants like NO2 away from children.
Natural gas is the cheapest, most efficient, cleanest way to generate electricity; use it 'til it's done.
Coal scrubbers can eliminate much of the pollution caused by coal generation, invest in r&d in this area.
Fracking will give us clean hydrocarbon power for centuries.
Being taught how to eliminate wasteful usage saves money, as do aforementioned insulation, efficient. lean burn, systems, etc.
Note I don't count CO2 as pollution, because it isn't.
If it weren't for CO2 we would all already be dead. We'd have starved or suffocated to death eons ago. Why all the hubaloo over CO2. All plants must have it to make oxygen and to survive. As far as I am concerned too much CO2 is just the right amount.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think hydrogen, whether from fuel cells or solar or some other means is the future. Check out this Army truck
Hydrogen is one solution either in fuel calls or direct in internal combustion engines. A few outstanding issues include setting up a hydrogen distribution system, transporting large amounts of hydrogen either as a liquid or compressed gas is not easy nor is storing gas within the vehicle, as storage has to be crash and fire resistant. These can be solved at a cost although somewhat chicken and egg, no demand no storage system, no storage system no demand.
Alcohol fuel cells are another potential solution, however they have been offering a solution for about as long as nuclear fusion has been on the horizon.
These are not that different to the environmental degradation caused by coal mining, especially open cast; fracking, tar sand extraction.
Everything comes at a cost to the environment and the question is about balance, this is why recycling and reusing is important.
Plants cannot use limitless CO2 without adequate amounts of other nutrients, shortage of these can become limiting.
CO2 absorption is acidfying the oceans resulting in sealife having problems creating and maintaining their calcium carbonate skeletons and shells. Lack of iron is a limiting factor for plankton growth across much of the sea. Experiments have been carried out with adding iron to increase plankton production with mixed results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One of the most interesting aspects of coal to me is the humic acids angle. These currently relevant chemistries are directly related to undesirable contents of metals such as mercury that coal holds. Humic, Fulvic and other acids were chelating, and holding back toxins from plants in exchange for elements desired by plant roots. There are 12 known humic acids of which only 4 are known to me as being replicated by mankind. It would be an interesting thing to me to see an understanding of all these prehistoric acids as I believe that knowledge could lead to a separation of toxins from coal, while producing superior fertilizers as a by product.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are 12 known humic acids of which only 4 are known to me as being replicated by mankind
Probably no PhD or money in synthesising the other 8.
I could well be wrong but I think the better quality the coal is the fewer humic acids it has. Increasing as the coal becomes softer and browner and closer to peat. Regardless of the humic acid levels if you burn the coal the heavy metals are released.
Humic and fulvic acids are important components of leaf mould and garden compost, helping to retain moisture, trap nutrients and improve soil structure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
$m
Probably no PhD or money in synthesising the other 8.
I could well be wrong but I think the better quality the coal is the fewer humic acids it has. Increasing as the coal becomes softer and browner and closer to peat. Regardless of the humic acid levels if you burn the coal the heavy metals are released.
Humic and fulvic acids are important components of leaf mould and garden compost, helping to retain moisture, trap nutrients and improve soil structure.
Its kinda the other way around. Coal being sort of ex-organic, the acids are fossilized with the coal, and the toxins they chelated are with them. Its like a fossil compost pile. Carbon itself is not the problem. The less dense peats and so forth are simply less dense, and carry less of everything, toxins and energy included. Coal has fuel value because it is dense. It has problems because it has concentrated mercury, arsenic and so forth as well. The humic acids are amazing in what they prevent plants from taking up. Were a person to pursue a thesis, the subject would be worth consideration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ptolosligi1987

Latest Threads