Effects on adolescents glyo and 2,4-D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I understand glyophosate is used to dessicate grain prior to harvest and is commonly found in cereals but is the 2,4-D just from running around in the yards on the grass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is about how glyo can meet hard water and become long lasting environmentally speaking. Some text from the article:

"Roundup is a glyphosate-based herbicide used to control weeds and other pests. Because it is supposed to break down in the environment within a few days to weeks, its use is relatively under-regulated by most public health agencies. But when glyphosate encounters certain trace metal ions that make water hard—like magnesium and calcium—glyphosate-metal ion complexes can form. Those complexes can persist up to seven years in water and 22 years in soil."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not at all imo. It seems exactly in support of why organic efforts are worthwhile. It points to some serious and previously unknown problems for those that are not organic growers and why they should consider change.

Imagine how much soil out there has gotten lime, and then finding out the roundup they also sprayed has created a 22 year lifespan calcium-glyophosate metal ion. What that expands to entail is likely going to include filtering every other herbicide or other chemical, even fertilizers, through this same discovery.

One problem with the chemical products is they are so easy to use. And less costly a lot of times. For an idea or fact to work against the utility of time saving or money saving efforts requires some effort or useful weight from itself to balance the organic scale.

I think doctors prescribe medicine in this vein. Starting with diet, organic foods, supplments etc but on the far end of medicinal reality are the harsh chemicals like chemo that work but also come with negative side effects that it is good to know about for their management.

In a larger context I am interested in metals for and used around organic gardening too. Iron and calcium are certainly up there but I have used copper fungicides and that metal seems to be proving that it can build up in soil so some places like UK are restricting it. Here it is still considered organic as far as I know. This article about a discovered ability for chemicals to bind to them is sort of cutting edge for me. So far all I really know is that acids dissolve metals and pH states of soil can thus impact this dissolution resulting in bio-avalable micronutrients or lockup.

I wonder if a vinegar drench could help remediate soil from some of these new metal combo ions mentioned in the articles? It can be pretty acidic like that 30% agricultural vinegar. Probably would not hurt much but weeds at the end of the season and the winter rains might leach it all away.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...In a larger context I am interested in metals for and used around organic gardening too. Iron and calcium are certainly up there but I have used copper fungicides and that metal seems to be proving that it can build up in soil so some places like UK are restricting it. Here it is still considered organic as far as I know.
Just because something is so-called "organic" does not automatically make it safe nor advisable to add to garden soils. Copper is toxic and can cause serious damage to plants by killing tissues. Copper doesn't break down in the soil. It's there for the duration. Personally, I would never apply it to garden veggies or soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
More like a subject for 'diseases and pests'.
I thought about that but since it is not alive in any way I ruled it out. We don't have a Non-organic section though the general always works. I thought it was most useful here where one may be learning what the hubbub is about or is experienced and learning even more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
An organic gardening discussion would have been better if it was something like "what ways do you guys use for pest and weed control instead of herbicides and pesticides". You're the first person I've ever seen claim to use these types of sprays organically.
No you are just new to the world and are shocked anybody had an idea before you came along.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Employees mostly. I take the offspring from central thinking communists like yourself and teach them how to use a tape measure. Turns out it is all fractions and addition and subtraction. You have children? You seem to to have proirity that denegrates persons over plants? Do you ever travel outside the islands?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Funny that I literally just posted in the other thread about politics obsessed talk. Lol you want to talk about math now? Gardening-forumsdotcom try reading that to yourself really slowly and think about what the purpose of the site is.
Sorry Your need to teach others has a certain smell that puts me off the dish.

This is mainly about giving you a venue to express yourself without being offended by you which is a task others cannot do sometimes. You are writing your own resume.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't care about your feelings, I came to talk about your garden. I can tell you actually intend to offend so I do give back some of the same energy but I genuinely try to steer you back into an actual conversation about growing stuff, time and time again though you keep trying to make it personal but all I've done is insult your intelligence.
Well that was an odd way to to put it. I suggest a duel.

Pictures at whatever paces. I will go first.
16972275808868121699955673108221.jpg

My garden is overthere. Can you see it?

Last edited:

Ask a Question